1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fat Old fart wants to go fast

Discussion in 'General' started by oldbeginner, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Lüsh #40

Lüsh #40 Member

a dying class?

I'm sorry, but someone has to speak up for the two strokes. I just went out in a practice with All Novices last weekend. I can't imagine learning how to race without starting on a 125. Big boys on big bikes & I'm sitting behind them with my clutch in, revving the motor so I don't stall in the turn! And I still passed them on the outside!

There's a great two stroke community to help out. Try www.usgpru.net.

Best of luck!

2. riopko

riopko Slowest Expert Ever

I am 43 and have been racing for two seasons. Started out on an old RD. Found out the four stroke world was the way to go for me. I've got an FZR, did CCS last year, doing WERA this year. I'm slow but having a ball. High;y recomennd a GS, EX or FZR.

I'm in Matthews(Charlotte) PM me if I can help.

3. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

Re: a dying class?

Honestly, I think a 2 stroke would be lots of fun especially for my daughter and son to race/ride. Problem is that everyone I talk too scares me away from the two strokes. I guess it's all just learning the basics and moving on from there. I do treasure dependability. I'd love to watch my 25 year old daughter smoke it on you guys, she is a natural and loves to go fast.

Perhaps one day I'll trade in either the R6 or SV for a two smoke so Jen can touch.

What's a well set up 125 or 250cc go for? A really good one.

Take Care,

4. JClay

JClay Gone Sailing...

I've raced both 2 and 4 strokes for many years but started on a 4 stroke and now on a 4 stroke. It's true that a 125 or 250 is a blast to ride and you will learn to go fast on one, but I also know that I have racked my brain and wallet trying to keep it tuned perfect and maintained. A new racer doesnt need any distractions. Keep it simple! Really simple! Push button start and pump gas.

A well setup '95-'97 RS125 is $4-$6K. A TZ250 around the same years are about the same price.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2004
  5. Lüsh #40

Lüsh #40 Member

butter and steak

Yes, you can't be afraid of the innards of the bike on a two stroke. That said, my husband put it best... How sharp do you want your butter knife? How sharp do you want your steak knife? When you start racing, all you need is that butter knife. No amount of tuning will help you go faster in the turns, which is what the two stroke teaches you - with smaller consequenses for screwing up.

6. CUDA

CUDA Well-Known Member

Lemmings. What you talkin about willis. Grap any bike you want and lets race. You beat the SV and call us lemmings all you want. You lose then full apologetic retraction is in order.

:)

7. oldguy

oldguy NC novice old dude

Yeah, no kidding. Lemmings, indeed :D