1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safe to Travel to Dubai?

Discussion in 'General' started by MHR-Speedy, Jan 8, 2020.

?

Do you go?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. MHR-Speedy

MHR-Speedy Well-Known Member

Me, the Wife and two other couples have a trip booked to Dubai for our 10 year anniversary, leaving next week, for about a week. Didn't purchase trip insurance at time of booking(Doh!), but may be able to work with Expedia to modify my reservation to go someplace else. Based on the current climate in that region, would you still go?

2. reemus

reemus Well-Known Member

I travel there regularly and am actually going to Abu Dhabi next week...I wont worry about it. Have fun!

MHR-Speedy likes this.
  3. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I’d go in a heartbeat. Obviously it’s crazy expensive shipping but if you don’t mind, figuring only eating, sightseeing and lodging, what can you expect a budget to be for a couple?

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

F@ck yeah I'd go. Probably the safest place to travel to right now as long as you stay smart and don't do stupid shit.

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I would probably stay away from the club scene. If you're gonna run into trouble, that's where you'll find it.
    Conversely, I found their piano bars very peaceful with really good complimentary beernuts and fresh fruit. The food is outstanding.

6. MHR-Speedy

MHR-Speedy Well-Known Member

I'd say it would probably be about $1k to depending on what you want to do, and how nice a hotel you want to stay in. We paid just under $3k for the week for both of us with direct flights.

ducnut likes this.
  7. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Sure! Fly right into the hornets nest and party. It'll be fine! LOL

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dubai? Hornet's nest? That's like saying it's dangerous to go to Beverly Hills because Compton is near by. :D

Beverly Hills,
    Century city
    Everything's so nice and pretty
    All the people look the same
    Don't they know they're so damn lame

There she goes
    Three piece suit
    Spandex pants
    Cowboy boots

9. I love Dubai. I like to go car shopping there.

Something to keep in mind...do not bring ANY drugs/medications into Dubai...even over-the-counter ones.

That shit is illegal as fuck. Even Melatonin can land you in a jail. Even if you have a prescription, in your name, it doesn't matter. Still illegal there. There is a British woman who spent 3 years in jail because she had some Codeine on her person...even though she had a prescription for it (from a car crash she had recently been through at the time).

I wouldn't even risk bringing Ibuprofen or anything.

That includes in your checked luggage. You can do a YouTube search for how they go through your checked bags entering Dubai. They don't fuck around.

10. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid Well-Known Member

Safer than 90% of the cities in the US

Sweatypants and Phl218 like this.
  11. grasshopper

Maybe I'm skeptical and maybe I listen to the local news too much... but due to the geographical location and what is going on in the region I'd steer clear. I hear the Bahamas are nice and relaxing this time of year :)

upload_2020-1-8_9-59-4.png
    Yet more reasoning not to visit there. You get arrested and go to jail for some stupid technicality. YAY

Gorilla George likes this.
  12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You mean DaveKaying? Or have you actually bought a car there? :D

418, YamahaRick and Boman Forklift like this.
  13. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Digging a bit there seems to be two main issues: Bringing in more than 3 months worth of a prescription medicine and bringing in certain pain killers (including some OTC medicines) or other medications on their banned list. Check your medicines against their list and only bring what you will need and you will most likely be fine. If you are taking something on their banned list you might be able to fill out some forms to get it in, but you will likely need a good amount of lead time to get that done. Your pharmacist or doctor can probably help check the banned list vs. what you are taking if you are unsure. There are places near me that specialize in assisting with medications, food / water advice and vaccinations for travel. It would probably be a good idea to check with one of them for anything you need to take with you as well.

https://www.government.ae/en/inform...nd-controlled-medicines/controlled-medicines-

14. grasshopper

15. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Way "back in the day," my mom was looking at the cassettes I had sitting on the kitchen counter next to my wallet & keys. She asked what I was listening to and I just said "some stuff I got from Mark." She said "What is it?" She had the cassettes in her hand and was reading the titles. When she got to the Circle Jerks Group Sex one, I chuckled. She then said something like "Oh, this sounds like a Grammy winner here, World Up My Ass." I cracked up.

16. MHRSpeedy

MHRSpeedy Well-Known Member

Site?

17. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

*Cite

Gorilla George likes this.
  18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Probably, but my first time visiting Dubai in the old souks... wife and I found a spot for lunch. We hadn't been in Dubai for 2 hours. 2 different tribals wearing different types of whatever-you-call-them-gown-things start arguing yelling. Few seconds later out comes a long butcher knife and they're stabbing each other.

19. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I went a few years ago. I’d refrain from wearing any t-shirt or other garment that highlights “USA”.
    Not to go dungeony but
    You are in the Middle East. Not everyone loves Amurica :flag:

jksoft likes this.
  20. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

A political analyst on CBC TV here said the Iranians were highly likely to retaliate against US allies in the region and named Saudi Arabia as a potential target. So it's a no for me.