How will Dunlop spin this?

Discussion in 'General' started by Drew 913, May 7, 2004.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yes. But I have to go off site for a couple of hours and won't be able to until tonight.

2. Chip

Chip Registered

Does JU have a conflict of intrest? Hell yes!!! He is invloved in the sport.......If you are invloved in the area in which you are reporting then you have a conflict of intrest.

CNN is owned buy Time Warner-AOL.......How many business and world events effect a company as large as Time Warner-AOL? Does CNN have a conflict of intrest when they report on these world events and business? Yep......

Would you want someone who had nothing to do with the motorcycle racing industry running a magazine about the Motorcycle racing industry? Hell No.....

It's part of the game......John is as Fair in his reporting as anybody could be. The magazine is excellent and the conspricy theories are stupid......Get over it.

Rodger.....Do you run Dunlops on your bike? Is that your conflict of intrest?

3. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Butt, we're not paying you by the hour or by the word.
    :Poke:

(OBTW, I'm gonna see if Mongo will change my username to "etc.")

4. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Sam:

Agreed as to the last comment.

A. I don't know John so i cannot comment oh his character other than from what he has posted here and printed in RRW.

B. That does not alter the fact that, at least IMHO, articles about Dunlop have lacked objectivity.

C. Dunlop may deserve articles that report on embarrasing things, but neither Dunlop nor any other manufaturer should have to be subject to hyperbole and opinion inserted into a news article. Someone at RRW apparently agreed with my comments on the "mockery" article, and I commend them for changing the article.

D. RRW does bite the hands that feed it and that is good, but see B, above.

Listen, I respect RRW and JU immensely, especially for things like the Airfence Fund, but if he is being unreasonable about something I'm going to call him on it even if it means suffering his wrath. He's a big boy. Why hasn't he answered my my posts?

5. Chip

Chip Registered

there...................

6. Shyster d'Oil

Would you want Dan Rather reporting on Texaco if he was sposored by them?

Just took off 'Stones to run Dunlops on my trackday bike. My buddies (who run Dunlops) and I may all go to Pirellis b/c they have a deal and we all want to run the same brand. They way I ride it is only a matter of cost an convenience. I've also used Michelins in the past.

7. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Rodger lives in Buffalo, NY. I believe Dunlop has a huge plant there, if I'm not mistaken. :)

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

And from the "I Love Dunpops web site", their head quarters are there as well.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Everyone who works in an industry this small has conflicts - nature of the beast so that isn't newsworthy nor is it necessary to be brought up every time JU types a sentence. So yes, we know that - the difference is how he handles them. History has proven he handles them quite well with no bias based on these conflicts - so you accusing bias solely because of a conflict of interest is ludicrous when it's been proven repeatedly there is none.

Is he biased against Dunlop because of their history within the sport? To an extent probably, but that's no different than anyone who has been reporting on a single small industry for so long - you get to know the players and their motivations. So - knowing their motivations, why should you not report that knowledge?

Again - you claimed bias solely because of his teams deal wiht Michelin, that is not true and has been soundly refuted. Why is it you can't admit that it's been refuted? You've done more spin in the last couple of days than I've ever seen JU do in my whole time involved in racing...

10. Shyster d'Oil

Yes it is true - I am Dunlops whore and I'm being paid to criticize RRW. Not. My firm has only been adversarial to Dunlop. But yes - i do care a little about Dunlop given that Buffalo is a dying rust belt city and that Dunlop is one of the few big industrial employers around.

So me asking for a fair shake is a conflict but taking $$ and or product from Michelin is not??

11. Shyster d'Oil

The small sport issue is a good one, but the rest of your post is just wierd.

There is a conflict of interest issue.

He's biased you say - but I say he can be more objective and his alteration of the article in question supports that.

JU claims that there is no relationship between RRW and Michelin. Why would he make such a perposterous claim? Does he feel that there is something to hide?

I have real work to do.

Flame away boys!!

12. hans jimsen

hans jimsen Active Member

There is a conflict of interest there, whether or not you all choose to see it. The irony here is that anyone else in the industry would be bashed for a conflict of interest by either JU or RRW. Something that is reprehensible in others is fine because of his character.:confused:

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Rodger and Hans - no one has yet to deny a conflict of interest - so why do you keep going on about it?

Hell, I have a number of them every day, we're sponsored by Dunlop and Pirelli and Michelin and I just slapped Maxxis tires on my truck. So what?

Oh yeah - Rodger - keep trying but no RRW does not have any sponsorship relationship with Michelin. Nor does JU personally. Got a point or just gonna keep insinuating because you've been proven wrong? So what's weird about my post? It makes too much sense?

14. G 97

G 97 Garth

Ah ha! So WERA is going to use Maxxis for the spec tire used in all classes in 2005.

I see a conflict of interest here. :D

15. hans jimsen

Actually, many posts on here do deny it.

16. hans jimsen

I am surprised that you are missing what Rodger is trying to say. When there is a story about Dunlop there is usually a smart-ass title to go with it. Not so with Michelin or Pirelli. If someone says something stupid, they are usually called on it. Fine. Last year an AMA Board member stated his factory was pulling out of Superbike racing unless the rules were changed. This team then showed up at the start of the season on the Superbike grid. No clever title mentioning this person making a mockery of his previous stand. What OEM did he work for?

Yes, he reports on all aspects of roadracing, including his sponsors. It just seems that some are treated more objectively than others.

17. guerrilla

guerrilla Real King of the Jungle

This turned silly real quick.

The noted conspiracy theorist lawyer is insinuating that there IS a conflict of interest??? I have to agree with Rodger here. There is NO SUCH THING as a potential conflict of interest. JU’s race team is sponsored by Michelin and in some form or fashion supprted by Suzuki. HELL YES that is a conflict of interest. The issue here is does that conflict of interest make it impossible for JU and RRW to be OBJECTIVE! HELL NO.

Everyone has pointed out 100 different examples of how RRW defends its objectivity by telling it like they see it regardless of BRANDING. Rodger chooses to gloss over this fact.

I will point to one fact to prove RRW’s objectivity BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT! That is their advertiser list. Dunlop CHECK, Michelin CHECK, Suzuki CHECK, Kawasaki CHECK and ON AND ON. It is my opinion, that if the Dunlop people did not feel they were getting EQUAL treatment from RRW that they wouldn’t run advertisements in the magazine.

Also Rodger said it himself “I still read your mag and I like it - lots of good info and interesting articles about the sport I love. I will probably even be a subscriber soon because my local Barnes & Noble stopped carrying RRW since you went to the new format. And I will still read your mag after you flame me for posting this, as you have in the past.”

CASE CLOSED!

18. Shyster d'Oil

I can't believe that you still don't understand the relationship
    between RRW and Michelin, but I will spell it out again:

John Ulrich is the Editor and Publisher of RRW and his wife is the President of Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.

Team Hammer, Inc. is owned by John and Trudy Ulrich, which races as Team Valvoline EMGO Suzuki.

The tire sponsor for Team Valvoline EMGO Suzuki is Michelin.

This neat compartmentalization does not destroy the conflict of interest. John Ulrich is John Ulrich no matter what hat he wears.

19. Shyster d'Oil

In your mind maybe its closed, but not mine.

I think you are wrong about Dunlop advertising in RRW. I think that thier distributors place ads related to tire service for racers, but I haven't seen an actual Dunlop ad in RRW for some time, IIRC. I'm not sure which way this cuts though.

My guess is that Dunlop doesn't like RRW coverage and yanked its advertising a long time ago. Is that evidence of Dunlop trying to punish RRW? Maybe. Is that evidence that Dunlop is really the Evil Empire? Maybe.

But Guerrilla, who are you going to rely on to impartially report on Dunlop? I think I know what your answer is. ;)

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hans - no actually people aren't denying a conflict as much as they are denying a problem with it.

Ridger - pay attention to what I'm saying this final time please - yes there is a potential conflict of interest. You can try an nitpick all you like but I've freely admitted there is one - for John. RRW is NOT John. John is a part of RRW and it's main face to the roadracing public but RRW is more than just John. Do some research.

What's funny is you're still ignoring all the other times I've said there is a conflict of interest and it still doesn't matter with regard to objectivity.

Hans - when Pirelli or Michelin does somehting like that - trust me JU will poke at them too. However they don't do things that seem on the face to be as ridiculous as some of the stuff Dunlop has done over the years. As I told Rodger - do some research. You're forming opinions based on too little knowledge.

SO now you two can go ahead and keep posting about how poor old DUnlop is being picked on yet again. Only problem is that especially in this case you're the only two that seem to believe it.... Enjoy that box!