1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

East shore Lake Michigan/south shore Lake Superior Trip recommendations?

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, Jul 9, 2019.

1. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Tour of the eastern shore of Lake Michigan, up to the Soo, then over along the southern shore of Lake Superior is in the planning stages. From taking the ferry to start in Luddington, up through Leland, through both of the Traverse Bay peninsulas, over to Traverse City, up to Paradise, over to Grand Marais, over to the Keweenaw Peninsula and then to the Apostle Islands.

We have done some of this already, but just more direct trips. Other than Sleeping Bear Dunes, the dune buggies to the south you can rent, Pictured Rock and some of the waterfalls, any must-see aspects or hidden gems you recommend? (not Mackinac Island)

2. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Kayak trip at pictured rocks, eat a jumbo ribeye at Foggys in Christmas, pizza and beer at the Pine Stump Junction, ribs at Timber Charlies in Newberry, and hike to Chapel Rock outside of Melstrand. Enjoy, its pretty great up there.
    resize.jpg

DrA5, j cal and ducnut like this.
  3. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Stop in Paradise and eat some whitefish at Browns Fish House, it's the best I've ever had. Go early, it's fresh so when they run out they are out. For stops, Lake in the Clouds in the Porcupine mountains was a nice visit.

Other than that, it sounds you know the main stops, just enjoy the scenery. If you detour over to Newberry you can go to the bear sanctuary and pet a bear cub. :D

DrA5 likes this.
  4. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

I prefer the Lake Express (Milwaukee to Muskegon) over the old boat. I also believe the Lake Express was offering a discount for motorcycles.

DrA5 likes this.
  5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

@Gorilla George

Gorilla George and Mot Okstef like this.
  6. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Have you seen this?

https://cannonshot.net/wp/category/gps/

Brian puts out some real high-quality routes for free to the general public (talk about a stand-up guy who can corner low). I know there is something in here that would touch on the route you are describing. (and probably give you ideas for 100 more...)

DrA5 likes this.
  7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I immediately thought the same thing. :crackup:

Gorilla George likes this.
  8. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

9. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

When are you plaining on doing this?

10. DrA5

last week of August into Labor Day.

11. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

They allow motorcycles to ride free with a seat purchase in the early and late season.

https://www.lake-express.com/motorcycles-ride-free/

12. Sprinky

Stop in Gay and go to the Gay Bar. It's pretty much a requirement if you're going to the Keweenaw.

I haven't done it, but taking the Quincy Mine Tour is on my list of things to do when I visit.

Bond Falls & Agate Falls are nice if you're driving by.

Canoe / Kayak in the Sylvania Wilderness.

See the Paulding Light.

Stop at the Jampot and get some Jam in Eagle River from the monks.

DrA5 and cpettit like this.
  13. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Eagle river!!!?

Cue the Hot Shots jokes.......................

14. DrA5

Good friends of ours have a second house in Eagle River that they let us use, so we get there often, I was not away of the Jampot though.

15. Sprinky

Just to clarify, Eagle River MI up on the Keweenaw

16. No shit?!

That’s happening.

DrA5 likes this.
  17. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Just a head's up...
    The Traverse City Ironman 70.3 is the morning of Sunday August 25th. The bike course goes from TC to Empire so that could impact you trying to get to the Dunes that morning/lunchtime. If it's mid afternoon or later you should be good.

18. DrA5

Ah yes, different Eagle River to the one in WI we frequent........

19. DrA5

Thanks for the info and heads up. We will plan accordingly. Appreciated!

20. yooperbikemike

yooperbikemike Well-Known Member

South boundary road in the porkys, US 41 to Copper Harbor, then M26 back down the west coast of the Keweenaw, then M203 from Calumet to Hancock. M-35 from The Negaunee state police post to Gwinn. H 58 from Munising to Grand Marais. Curley Lewis Memorial drive from M-123 to Brimley.

DrA5, skidooboy and Sprinky like this.