Another Boeing 737 Max-8 crash

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Mar 10, 2019.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

They are.....through July I think. It's just a safety pamphlet they printed up for both the old 738 and the 737 Max

EDIT: August

https://www.southwest.com/html/air/737-MAX-8.html?clk=737MAX8_190408
    "All Boeing MAX 8 aircraft have been removed from our schedule through August 5, 2019."

2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

After I hit reply, I thought it might have been signage that hadn’t been changed.

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

How so....has something changed??

From Flying press release....
    The language reported in the Emergency AD explained, “Cirrus and Aerosonic (manufacturer of the technical standard order AOA sensor) have identified the probable root cause as an AOA sensor malfunction due to a quality escape in the assembly of the AOA sensor at Aerosonic. Two set screws that secure the potentiometer shaft to the AOA vane shaft may have improper torquing and no application of thread locker.

4. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

It was just the pamphlet but still made me laugh. Also, as I was on my return flight last night someone in my seating range was crop dusting the shit outta the plane. Sommabitch stunk so bad I was hoping the plane would crash just to end the slow torture.

5. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Has anywhere in North America had these problems?

If there is a plane issue then why isn’t it over here? Or do we have better pilots?

6. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Our pilots, as I understand have a minimum of 2500 hrs. The most recent crash pilot had 200. No idea if those are virtual hours or real.

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

We obviously haven't had a 737 Max crash domestically, whether or not domestic pilots have experienced the issue that caused the crash but simply were trained how to fly out of it is another story....I'd be willing to bet the scenario has in fact played out plenty of times domestically.

8. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

No, it has not. There have been no instances of stall system activation in the US. It would have been reported automatically via the aircraft's FDAP / FOQUA system, and any stall warning is mandatory reporting item to the FAA.

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Right.....but is it mandatory to report that to the general public or media beyond that and/or make that information available if someone goes looking for it? And if so, does that information never get hush-hushed?

10. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I'm fairly certain that any reportable event to the FAA becomes public record. The FAA has a pretty long list of mandatory reportable events.

Most airlines have a program which allows de-identified reports to go to the FAA and the company in exchange for limited immunity from action taken against the pilot's license (ASARS or ASAP.) So if you screw something up, self disclose, it gets de-identified and submitted for all to see. Thus we can learn from each other's mistakes without fear of retribution. If you screw up is a big one, and it later gets independently investigated, you have some protection so there is some incentive to report. Most of these items are daily minor paperwork screwups, like, I flew the plane 2 legs and then I noticed that 15 pages back in the logbook one of the T's was not crossed. Etc. Some are bigger, like missing an altitude restriction. Air Traffic Control says "no big deal" but you fill out the report anyway to be safe. These are "non mandatory" reports but they often go in the same system as the big ones, Mandatory reporting events like everything from engine / pressurization issues to go-arounds.

My point by telling the above story is that there is alot of information that is public regarding incidents that have taken place. You may recall that earlier in the thread I was bitching about the press taking this and blowing out of proportion, when they ran a headline claiming "PILOTS COMPLAINED TO A SAFETY REPORTING SYSTEM 100 TIMES ABOUT THE MAX!" Meanwhile they took every ASARS / ASAP report that took place on a MAX aircraft and used that as a "safety complaint" when it could have been a flight attendant spraining their ankle in turbulence or a passenger locking themselves in the lav. You get the picture.

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Isn't it just time for Boeing to scrap the 73x airframe and start anew? Maybe a new narrow-body based on the 787's composite structure.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It's not cheap.

13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

That's putting it mildly.
    Kinda like saying Mongo will tolerate pie.

I've read the 787 cost over 30 BILLION...thats Billion with a B.... to develop and certify.
    That's why they keep upgrading current aircraft under the existing type certificate. Orders of magnitude cheaper.

We just need the rest of the world to not have shitty pilots who keep fighting the teim for 20-30 times without pulling the breaker.

Now now settle down...Boeing was stupid to tie this to a single AOA vane and maybe not mention what it does. But come on rest of the world. If it keeps effing up just pull the effing breaker.

14. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

They basically are new if you compare them to the original 737. Its like an LS v8 from chevy compared to the old 350. Same bore spacing, and that's about it.

15. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

Ironically I just watched this the other day

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, I put it in the YouTube thread for a reason…

It's between you and Mong now.

17. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

You intentionally waited until after the edit window closed didn't you.

18. Trunxgp1224

All I did was post the link, I don't know why the video shows up.

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I posted when I got here. Damn, a brother can't even get the benefit of the doubt.

20. Trunxgp1224

So why is it embedding a video from a web link if I'm not using the [embed] function and only posting text?