1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gunsmith Question

Discussion in 'General' started by speedluvn, May 17, 2018.

1. skee

skee # 358

Take it all apart and do it by the numbers. Remember tighten per torque specs if any then you may have to back off to align gas tube holes. When thread on the hand guard make sure locking screws are backed all the way out so wont hit the threads. hand tighten as far as you can back off/tighten accordingly so that set screw holes line up and then tighten.... I have the same free float handguard on mine.

2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

3. speedluvn

:timeforabeer:

Thanks to all who assisted me! It appears that the barrel nut/gas block was preventing the handguard from seating.

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Excellent now go shoot that thing! I have a Troy fsp rail on my S&W, great products.

5. speedluvn

Yeah hopefully I can be tacticool one day!

Sabre699 likes this.
  6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

7. jkraft

jkraft Well-Known Member

just curious, if after assembly you put a straight edge on top of the receiver is the hand guard perfectly inline with the receiver?

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

LOL That's an excellent question. It can be done optically. Look down the rails at the edge of a window or something else that will provide a straight contrast between dark and light. With the reflection of that edge sighted on the rails, you should not be able to discern where one rail stops and the other begins, at least as far as the reflection is concerned.

9. speedluvn

I saw that procedure on a YouTube video but my vice and receiver holder is not stable. Maybe the beeb can offer some solid advice before I go to the range next week to zero it?

10. speedluvn

I’ma have to process this for a moment. :confused:

11. fastfreddie

From across the room, point the rifle towards one side of the window and catch the reflection of the other side of the window on top of the rails. The straight edge reflection as it passes over the gap between the two rails will show a straight line if the rails are on the same plane/not cocked. Get your sighting eye down to the level of the rails.

12. speedluvn

I’ll try it this weekend

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Easiest way I found to make sure the rail is aligned to the reciverr is to bridge the gap with a scope ring or some other mount before tightening it. Is that tacticool?

14. speedluvn

I like that idea. Is that sufficient enough above average accuracy from optics?

15. fastfreddie

You can still look down the rails to check after using toe's method. Seeing is believing.

16. speedluvn

I don't wish to start another thread but what are optic optics for "extended ranges" for an AR-15? I understand a magnifier but what ranges are they used?

Does anyone have insight on the Vortex Strike Eagle?