1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hallet AHRMA cancelled the race today because of rain

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Hate McDead, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Hate McDead

Hate McDead Well-Known Member

Glad I didn't make that trip. Of course a torn ACL and hip pointer will do that. But one of the things you can count on with WERA is that when they print their race schedule, they will stick to it unless there's some force majeure such as hail or some such act of god. However, AHRMA has developed a habit of shortening events - such as only one round of practice or shortened races. In the case of the Hallet Saturday cancellation, there was no vote, no unusual safety issue, there was just the arbitrary decision to cancell the day's events. In every organization I've raced in over the last 40 plus years, motorcycles race in the rain. Yes there are exceptions. Mid-Ohio comes to mind although it seems to be a treacherous track just as rain starts but is okay once the track is wet. None the less, with AHRMA's national schedule, racers come from all over the country to race. They take the time, spend the money and exert the energy to go racing. It would seem to be up to the individual racer whether or not to enter the track under wet conditions. A total cancellation seems unreasonable for me. I measure the risks as we all do and make my own personal decision.

2. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Sooooo,

I don't know what transpired at Hallett today, but I am unaware of any tornadic activity, not that such would be unusual for that neighborhood. Instead, it is 70% chance of rain, and 10 - 15 mph wind, i.e, exactly the same as what we have here in Austin, TX at the MotoGP, where they raced today. Now, I understand AHRMA and MotoGP are a we bit different, but 70% rain and 10 - 15 mph breezes? Really? Wazzup?

Let me get this right: You are a national roadrace organization. You plan, and arrange your national roadrace schedule well in advance - say 6 - 8 months in advance. When looking at various tracks, one would assume you look at various locations, i.e., geographic coordinates on the big, rotating ball of mud. Associated with that geographic locale, are weather factors, which vary with time, i.e., the calendar. NOAA has historical records for decades, if not much longer for stations close to every race track. One would think that a national, experienced roadrace organization would consider normal, expected, predictable weather patterns in their planning. based upon my limited experience - a mere 20 years of racing - rain and wind are pretty doggone common. Hmmmm, maybe there's something else going on here . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

3. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Dang that is rough, but without seeing the actual conditions myself I'll refrain from harsh comments.....but I will say that in general I agree that racing in the rain is part of the deal.

I recall a WERA event at Roebling where a tropical storm came thru. WERA let the riders make the call on the conditions, which I think was appropriate. We had 5" of rain in a few hours if I recall. It was back in my "Stocker" days.... We raced. I lapped the field, and won both my races. It was quite the experience.....Bowie broke his foot in a crash and was pissed he couldn't get out there and keep Joe Pomeroy in check.....wild day.

For perspective, Barber Vintage festival cancelled also. That was rough, an actual hurricane.....but Hates post has me realizing THAT was Barber cancelling the entire event, correct?

Wasn't there another rain cancellation already this year?

Previously I'd have raced anyhow.....Upon my return I probably wont be as hard core and would evaluate at the time, but probably sit it out.

Totally cancelling is a tough call.

4. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

You're gettin' soft Charlie . . . .

:Poke:

Cheers,

Dave

5. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

Barber canceled the event for Sunday at the Vintage Festival last year, Not Ahrma! I choose to not race even had they run the race that day and packed up before the official call. I would think there was something more the just rain in the forecast that canceled the whole day. I am sure someone who is there will chime in with details about how and why?

6. CharlieY

Yes, just like I said in my post, correct?....or did you not read it as you reached for your 3' screwdriver?

Yeah I know Dave.....alittle soft is better than dead I guess. I'm sure that emotion will take over once I'm standing there, bike ready.

7. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

Hummmm and you are correct, just missed interrupted your statement on the whole event? I will forever be more carefully reading your posts. please forgive me..

8. CharlieY

No problem sir. Your post sent me to read mine again, and I should have been more direct.

Thanx.

I enjoy racing with AHRMA, so I don't want to give the impression of a hater....but they do differ from WERA on some things.

9. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I like both WERA and AHRMA..... I know it’s not easy running shows and making calls... and I think they both do an outstanding job...

fat bloke likes this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think everyone was fine with the Barber call, I would have done the same. Not so much Talladega and not enough info on Hallett but from that forecast I can't see doing it.

11. CharlieY

Dam, this talk of the cancelled Barber has me remembering Kesler, appearing out of nowhere to save the day for me and the VFR I bought from Dave Rutherford that day....dam, just dam.:(

12. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

Heard there was a low turnout for the event and very heavy rain and low temps. Lots of water crossing the track. Maybe concern about the corner workers was also a factor? Guess they paid double points Sunday.

13. Hate McDead

AHRMA offered double points on Sunday IF you don't request a refund for Saturday.

14. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

Interesting!

15. Hate McDead

It is interesting as to being able to buy points. The implications can be viewed from several different perspectives. It certainy is a way to guarantee national points at an event with a light turnout.

Also, I would like to get more info as to why the Saturday venue was cancelled. Race control certainly had their reasons or their justifications. We'll find out soon enough. I'm just saying whichever way this got played out, I will make my decision to race based on how probable it is that I will get on the track - at least for a far away event. There's a lot involved to get to a track; I would be very unhappy if the decision not to race was based on anything other than safety. Rain in and of itself is not a safety issue. I bring slicks for dry and rains for wet.

16. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

Agreed , rain is not unto itself a safety issue. Was not there so dont know the full story. Not sure I understand the double pionts based on your willingness to take a refund or not? Seems odd. If your chasing points, it's a no brainer. Ahrma has its quirks. I like racing with them but sometimes I scratch my head?

17. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Maybe.... Just Maybe...... Tony ran out of Moonshine.....

ungwaha likes this.
  18. ungwaha

ungwaha Well-Known Member

Tony was working the Indy race at Barber.

19. VintageRacerRoy

VintageRacerRoy Well-Known Member

Mr. McDead, your comments are on point. AHRMA will quickly cut or cancel at the racers expense. This has been happening/developing for years. Somewhere along the way the organization has forgotten the people in the pits who make significant effort to race. It seems they (Leadership) do not place the racing experience for the riders as a high priority. The number one thing affecting the experience, is track time (practice and racing). Nowhere I would rather be than on track, but they have broken my addiction.

20. CharlieY

Is it the season for the "David Rutherford for Trustee" banners?:bow: