1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kawasaki triples

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by rotax454, Mar 7, 2018.

1. rotax454

rotax454 Well-Known Member

Let's see if my mind is still there?
    The H1R motor differed from the standard motor by:
    Outside cylinders reversed left to right. Right to left. Close ratio trans. Dry clutch. No oil pump. Larger VM carbs.
    Not sure on the ignition type.

2. rotax454

All of my WERA racing was done as a Novice.

3. KawH1R

KawH1R Well-Known Member

It was a H-1

4. KawH1R

KawH1R Well-Known Member

Nope. 74 frame braced, bridged intake cylinders. Using H2R fairing and seat

5. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Yes that is the history I knew Dennis Hayslett, he purchased the bike from Ted. That would have happened maybe fall of 76 or spring of 77. Tragic, Hayslett passed away of an aneurism in his hotel room at a west coast race.

I was just cheap labor on Ted's 500, I could weld and fabricate. His pipes were Kevin Camron design, he combined H1R specs with TR3 pipes, and he used H2 30mm carbs. Bike was VERY fast, Ted ran AMA and FGPRA and maybe a little bit of ERA (pre WERA?) or WERA

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  6. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

this thing was at the fort myers first annual vintage two stroke bike show

came in the green meanies trailer. behind it is a really nicely done up H2, but that is a 1971 H1R. check out the four leading shoe magnesium drum brake up front!!!!

[​IMG]

Forgot the name of the gentleman that owned both bikes. Super friendly old guy, loved talking bikes.

7. KawH1R

KawH1R Well-Known Member

I believe those may belong to Scott Guthrie...He helped Ginger Molloy set up his H1R for Daytona in 1970. He also knows a thing or two regarding TZ750's.

8. KawH1R

KawH1R Well-Known Member

9. KawH1R

KawH1R Well-Known Member

Bob, Recognize that? Dennis Hayslett at Road A around 78 or 79 maybe

10. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Yes, I built that seat, that is Teds bike. That was shortly after he purchased it. It had seen quite a few seasons with Ted including 3 Daytona's.

It won the middle weight ModProd and GP class 2 or 3 years in a row, first year lapped the field all the way to 3rd place.

Also finished 5th in Open GP which was mostly Superbikes that did not qualify for the big show and a hand full of TZ 750's. John Minono won it on a beautiful factory Trident triple that was really fast for the first 3/4 of the race and held on for the win protesting being ridden hard with ever increasing billows of white smoke as he down shifted it.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  11. mgmark

mgmark George Tirebiter for President

That is Dennis on the Green Meanie. After he passed away the bike kicked around Daytona for a while and was supposedly sold to a fellow in NC. I tried to find the bike but haven’t heard anything about it since. Dennis was a helpful guy when I was just starting out racing in ‘80. He also raced a TZ250 that wound up in the turn one ditch/lake at Moroso while I was also there. I have a picture somewhere of his tuner/mechanic Al in the pits with the bike upside down pumping the water out of the motor. He made it to his race with it afterwards.

Mark

12. rotax454

My RZ500 racing at Grattan. Believe it was 1986-1987.

Attached Files:

13. rotax454

More Grattan racing pictures. 86 or 87. Front straight pits. Before there were any pit garages. Or a nice clean restroom!!!

Attached Files:

14. rotax454

RZ500 racing at Grattan. 86 or 87. Hey, maybe 88

Attached Files:

JBall likes this.
  15. rotax454

Early pic of the H1 prepped for WERA 500 superbike. This was stage 1 prior to the Arlington Motorsports - Kevin Cameron treatment.

Attached Files:

WERA33 likes this.
  16. rotax454

Found a classic. Grattan start of the 500 superbike class. Jammed packed those days. Typical 2 wave start.
    Hey guys, look who is directly in front of me. Dennis Haslett #11 H1 and Honda Hawk racing at Grattan.jpg

JBall likes this.
  17. rotax454

Another shot of the H1. Winter prep prior to the racing season. Believe it now had the Arlington and Cameron treatment. I can see the phenolic intake manifolds on the cylinders.

Attached Files:

WERA33 likes this.
  18. rotax454

A couple of pictures of me racing at Grattan. Poor pics due to some moisture damage on picture.

Attached Files:

19. rotax454

Bob and Ted. The starting line picture at Grattan is for you guys.

20. rotax454

WERA final race in November at the Indianapolis Raceway Park. Remember how cold it was. Traveling to the races----bike, gear, tools, people----all packed into a van. Wow.
    Both my brothers with me for that race. Beating the #1 guy in route to wining the race that day was good. Really special having both my brothers with me that day.
    Dave (pictured with me) was fatally injured in a motorcycle street accident. Distracted driver.

Attached Files: