1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have data now... what is going on??

Discussion in 'General' started by Lavana, Feb 26, 2018.

1. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Man this thread makes me thankful that I still ride a relatively "analog" bike.

Some of this modern tech, even on stock bikes, is just too much......

2. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

I use the Y-Trac for every race weekend, mostly for my own riding, to compare laps. I typically don't share the Y-Trac data with the crew guys as it's typically for my own reference. I can look at gear selection, gearing itself, throttle at the hand vs. in the ECU, when the TC and Lift is coming on (although the whole second half of 2017 we turned TC off completely).

Also a huge thing for me is before I go to a track I've raced at before, a few weeks in advance I'll start looking at the Y-Trac from the previous year so I can start visualizing laps in my head, all my shift points, etc.

Then we also have AIM data, which my crew uses and we reference for other things (mostly suspension). I like the Y-Trac for my riding because it's intuitive and simple and I can work on myself. We use the AIM to work on the bike.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's a fun toy but not necessary for the vast majority of racers.

Metalhead likes this.
  4. Interesting. Eslick made a big jump in feel after we disabled TC too. I forgot about the throttle plate trace showing Engine Braking on decel. That's helpful to see too.

Do you run Launch Control Kyle?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    bacolmm likes this.
  5. KWyman133

Yeah, with an Evo4 system we couldn't get all the ECU traces, so any TC change we made in the FT ECU was just a shot in the dark. We found it was just easier to ride the bike without it.

This year we are putting an MXL2 dash on it so we can make real educated changes... there's got to be time in having TC, or at least making the bike easier to ride... we just haven't tapped that potential yet.

bacolmm likes this.
  6. KWyman133

I do, but we have super secret settings :D

Phl218 likes this.
  7. KWyman133

Yes. For example, I didn't go faster because I turned the TC off. I went faster because I had one less thing to dick with and I could focus on doing my job.

Until the rider is no longer the variable in the equation, it doesn't make sense to introduce other unnecessary variables.

8. Cheater! We ran a borrowed MXL2 one weekend instead of the EVO4 for that reason. Good for all channels. and for using the wireless to access the open connection on the Graves R6 dashboards. Good fun.

KWyman133 likes this.
  9. andrewtt

andrewtt Member

As mentioned, tire circumference changes at lean so even if you calibrate the sensor based on a measurement, wheel speeds will be way off as you lean. Dunlop does release a graph/equation that shows circumference vs. lean angle for the spec tires, or you can make an estimate based on some measurements, so you can take lean angle into account using a math channel and get close enough for some usable data.

On a superbike we usually see up to 15 percent slip on acceleration, -40 percent on decel, when comparing rear wheel speed to GPS speed, even with those corrections for lean angle.

AT

freeohio likes this.
  10. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Is there a reason why you are going with the MXL2 and not the MXS Dash?

11. KWyman133

If I’m being honest, I don’t know the difference. FT ECU begged me to get the MXL2 last year so they could dial me in better on the electronics and I couldn’t pony up for it. Went for it for this year and I’ll be trying it out in a few weeks.

12. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Am I the only one who got that?

shakazulu12 likes this.
  13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

14. KWyman133

Lol, wait. Seriously?

15. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

AT?

The Geek?

16. TurboBlew and Steeltoe like this.
  17. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Artificial Titties ; at some tracks , you just don't need them :D

18. terminus est

terminus est Be prepared

And carburetors are too complicated and black magic and whatever.

19. ...only if you don't want to finish corners, or go fast.

20. If we are still talking about Jennings, and you are on a Liter bike, it is highly possible you are actually at 85% throttle.

Me and Stokes had a conversation about that at Jennings one time. He went there for a weekend of testing (back when he was riding for Stargel) and he was SURE he was WOT all the way through the back section (T2-T3 area). He said he just knew it. But in reality, according to the data, he was only at 94-96%. After seeing the data, he went back out with a purpose of making sure he actually felt the throttle stop, and it made a difference.

...and we are talking about someone who at the time was a top-10 AMA caliber rider.

So if you are on a 190+hp Liter bike, and likely aren't running Stokes' pace, it is possible (and likely) that you actually aren't carrying 100% throttle through there.