1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now you can't defend yourself in your own home

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by SGVRider, Aug 16, 2017.

1. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Cliff notes:

Son goes home and finds mothers girlfriend at home beating/choking her to death. Son puts dude in choke hold and gives him a permanent night night. State charges him with manslaughter. WTF?

https://www.yahoo.com/music/high-school-football-player-charged-123317517.html

Give this kid a fucking medal, not a rap sheet. I know they need to investigate, but why this bullshit? Sad statement on the state of our rights in America.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Well, you know spousal abusers are a protected class in NYC, right?

3. brex

brex Well-Known Member

He should claim status as an illegal Mexican. Or Syrian refugee. Then he would be protected by the sanctuary city and no charges filed.

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Or just say the deceased was an alt-right white supremacist.

brex and TurboBlew like this.
  5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

NYC is supposed to be the City of Dreams! :( Sounds like a nightmare to me.

6. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Yeah he didn't even use an evil gun, just his arms. The lefties aren't against guns per se, they're just against self defense and inherent human rights. Reminds me of the Danish woman who used pepper spray to fend off a dude trying to rape her. The Danes wanted to charge her for using pepper spray. The left has gone completely mad.

7. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it will get dropped, but an unfortunate consequence of our justice system is that it has to go through the process. At this point there's no proof that it wasn't premeditated and the kid and mom are corroborating one another's stories.

I feel horrible for the kid. Unless he's one mentally tough SOB, he'll struggle with that one for a while.

8. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

To be devils advocate, this was not self defense. Self defense would stop when the ex-boyfriend passed out, continuing to choke him is the exact same as if you shoot someone when theyre already down, or running away. Those cases would (and have been) charged with murder as well. Not saying I blame the kid at all, but I can see the charges too.

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

That's valid.

But hard to make that distinction when as a son you walk in to see your mom getting beaten up....I know it would be for me.

10. tito

tito Well-Known Member

soin a choke hold how long from going to sleep, does death happen?

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Tough one. Not sure on bringing charges. Even passed out the body trying to breath would struggle so the kid may have thought he was still awake.

12. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I imagine that the charges will be dropped upon review of available evidence. No prosecutor in their right mind would believe that it was possible to get a jury to convict a teenaged boy who was defending his mother from a habitual criminal with a history of abusive behaviour.

13. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

And thats what a trial is for, and if it goes to trial, probably what the defense lawyer will argue. Fact of the matter is the kid killed the guy, its tough to argue self defense on the spot given the method of killing (not like a single shot to the chest at the front door). He will have his day in court, and I hope he beats the charges, I have zero sympathy to the guy, and he probably deserved it.

14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I would think the imprecision of the method of defense would be a positive factor in his defense.
    Even if he was a big kid, he was restraining someone he was probably afraid of, and I doubt he'd have any idea of when it was safe to let go before the guy died but after he was disabled enough to no longer be a threat.
    Why waste time on a trial?
    Nobody's going to convict him.

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

If cops can get off on positional asphyxiation, why can't this kid?

SuddenBraking likes this.
  16. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I would have mentioned that but I didn't want to trigger a certain ex-cop.
    He likes you, though.

17. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

If the ex-bf was as much of a threat as it seems he was, kid was smart to not back off once he got involved. The risk of not choking/restraining long enough could have been way worse for him and mom than choking too long.

SnacktimeKC and crashman like this.
  18. Uncle Snake

Uncle Snake Well-Known Member

Seems legit to me.

19. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I imagine he has very little real world practice in strangling folks. As a young strangler with yellow plates I can see where he might unintentionally go too far.

Yzasserina, SuddenBraking and Orvis like this.
  20. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Sort of a deviation on this thread but I had an interesting experience on home protection practice yesterday. A friend paid for himself, me, and two other friends to attend a training exercise event in Dallas. The friend is a Naval Academy graduate, flew F14s off a carrier for a few years, then retired as a Commander. He has a few friends in the business of tactical warfare so he was able to hire an ex Navy Seal who now is involved in training upgrades of younger Seals before deployment. The four of us spent about 3.5 hours being trained in tactical operations with a handgun. We went through how to acquire targets quickly and how to move properly in dispatching those targets. Next session was learning how Seals are trained to clear a room, or house, both individually or when operating as a two man team.

We used Glock 17s set up with a system called Simulated ammunition. (Simunition) Basically power charged paint ball ammo that fires at about 900 fps. If you get hit with one you won't die but you'll sure as hell think you will.

It was one of the most eyeopening situations I've been through in my life taught by people that do it for a living. (Or just to stay alive.) The whole staff are guys that are still with the company that bought out Blackwater. :beer: