1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metal storage

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

With bike stuff, furniture and 'art' stuff that I make, I have metals of all shape sizes and composition stacking up on shelves in my shop. Steel plate, stainless tubing, AL plate, steel tube, etc, etc etc.

How are you guys that do a lot of fab work organizing and storing this stuff? I'm quickly running out of space in my shop, but most of my material is under 2'x4' so it shouldn't take up a large area. It's just all kinda thrown in a pile now and it's driving me nuts.

2. I have boxes that separate each kind of material (stainless, aluminum, titanium and steel) on a shelf. Big sheets are under the boxes and then all tubing is bungee corded to the side of the shelf.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You can't keep your Slayer, Motörhead or early Metallica even in the same room as your Poison, Winger or Bon Jovi CDs. The Motörhead stuff will get pissed and melt your f@ckin' face for even owning that hair metal shit.

I'd suggest just getting rid of that hair metal stuff. Mail it to Metalhead, he's a puss faced puss metal lover.

joec likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Build a rack.

5. tito

tito Well-Known Member

do a google search for wood cut off bins..... and pick one to your liking. also PVC pipe can be glued or screwed together and makes holding bar and tubing stock easy

6. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Just went through this on the weekend cleaning up the barn. Mine all used to be in a big pile/stack. Spend all of friday cleaning up out there, now it's in a slightly more organized stack/pile ha ha. I'm got milk crates in the garage for small offcuts (pieces I should throw out, but hang onto anyway), etc. I need to build a big rack badly, but maybe one day I'll get some spare time and get around to it.

7. Phl218

Phl218 .

why do you want to store Metalhead? he sleeps in his bed.

what we do here is different racks for each metal type and then add tape with type names to each... 1018 / 304 / also for the plastics ... and so on...

8. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

The only obvious solution is build a bigger building so you can have more shelves to spread the stuff out on.

5axis likes this.
  9. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I would build a vertical finger rack for the flat plate stuff, like this but maybe not so huge:
    [​IMG]
    and then a vertical storage box, like this, but a little more robust for the long skinny stuff:
    [​IMG]

10. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I read the title and thought "wait I'm not dead yet".

11. caferace

caferace No.

We're just gonna light your beard on fire and dance around the pyre. :D

-jim

12. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

How bout now? Dead yet?

Speaking of dead yet, are any of the lawyers dead yet in that other stupid thread?

If you kill a lawyer, do they stay dead?