1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talus fracture?

Discussion in 'General' started by puckwhore, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Type 3 is not good. I did mine in September of 14, type 2. Two screws, no weight for 12 weeks. Is still stiff in the morning and doesn't flex as much as the right ankle. Don't push it like other injuries. I was paranoid about avn, but there are things they do if it shows up. You're looking for a solid Hawkins sign at this point. Have you talked to your doctor about that?

2. cb500

cb500 long hair hippie freak

Good luck ,like shenanigans said . Keep stretching it,if the dr let you. I only have about40% movement versus the other. I can point toes normally. The other. Direction not that much.

3. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

In a former job, I worked on a TTC fusion nail for a little bit. It's not an easy problem to solve, although in that case a decent percentage of the patients are diabetic and/or smokers.

Switching from degenerative to trauma, a machinist that used to work for me fractured his, along with a few other things, in a skydiving incident. His recovery mirrored what some of the others here have said here. It was not pleasant.

4. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

I had joint deterioration is why mine had to be fused. Upper joint first, then lower, first lower fusion didn't take so all hardware came out and had to redo it with with bone graft to completely fuse.

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

If it's a poor blood flow bone like the scaphoid you might want to get a bone growth stimulator. I bought a used one for my scaphoid, doc said they definitely help. Insurance won't usually pay for one unless you aren't healing well and it's been at least 90 days. The batteries are good for 200 or so treatments, I got 217 out of mine. Bought it with 36 uses on it for $500.

This is where I got mine. http://www.sdcdeals.com/collections/exogen4000

6. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

NOT GOOD!

I experienced what the ortho called a subcondular talardome fracture about 4-5 years ago. It was mainly due to running crazy miles (50 miles a week) on a body such as mine that is not built for running. I was 200lbs with almost no fat, but I'm a bigger framey kinda build.

We looked at all options such as surgery etc. She was adomate that surgery could either help it or just as easily make it much worse. If you research talus fractures, you won't be happy with what you find. I know I wasn't. It was basically a forced retirement from running for me. I tried returning to running several times and it wasn't long until the talus reminded me that I will never run distances again.

The talus sucks........it has some of the worst blood flood to it than any other part of the body......much like the scaphoid.

After 5 years I would say it is a little better and I can lightly run on the treadmill as long as I don't get too excited and push it........but it still ain't right. I always know when major weather fronts are coming in because it will act up and I'll get the occasional instant stabbing pain in my ankle.

Sorry for my bad news. Best of luck to you.

7. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

Nail or external fixator? I've seen the surgery. I've even done one on a cadaver. It's not pretty.

8. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

No external fixator. Screwed everything together and gave me a bone stimulator to use.

9. slowohioboy344

slowohioboy344 Well-Known Member

I had what sounds like a similar injury this March. I crashed on 3/19 and I went through some therapy and about 6 weeks on crutches, I am still not right and limp quite a bit. It will be good for a little while then it will start bothering me again. I did not have surgery on mine, but I am starting to wonder if I should have.

I am 42 and have broken that same foot 2 times in the past so I don't know if that is any affect but this one has been much worse than those were.

10. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

I think it is there, but I may be biased, also a radiologist.

11. twodocs

Sounds like a long recovery, I used to run 5 miles a day too....I guess I will just have to pedal more now!

12. Knotcher

You looking at anterposterior graph? Other views can give false positives.

13. Knotcher

I never run much anymore. Picked up cycling. Seems much better regardless of the injury.

14. twodocs

Yep, AP ankle. (I am a radiologist if that wasn't clear, wife is an ER physician who also rides, she relocated my shoulder trackside ;)

Wasn't looking for 'medical advice' per se, but that is a good point to bring up for those who may not know (their ortho or rad may not either depending on field and experience)

15. Knotcher

Ah, missed that. I'm just a network nerd that went hog wild on researching original source documentation on fractures of the talus and recovery/rehabilitation options... which I summarize as ORIF and pray.