1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini Cooper.....

Discussion in 'General' started by knutz, Dec 19, 2015.

1. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

Yeah the more I read on the net the it looks like it's a fun car but upkeep is a bitch. Keep the comments coming on them if anybody has any experience but I'm gonna broaden my search a little.

The must haves are, manual transmission and good on gas

2. yamahogg500

yamahogg500 Well-Known Member

I bought a mini new a few years back. fun car.Do not get a S model. they are faster but far more prone to mechanical
    problems. Yes they are more expensive to keep on the road.

3. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Audi, BMW, Mini....cars you never own out of warranty for $10,000 Alex

4. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

well at least half of my comment was relivant re a pretend Mini

5. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Well, a Mini IS a BMW, which is why they are unreliable as they age, and expensive to maintain. I bought my daughter a Corolla-- with any luck at all it will go 100k miles without laying a wrench on it and last 150k-200k miles.

6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

So you're suggesting a 5 Series over a Civic ? Really ?!? I know you have a great sense of humour, but this is pretty awful advice lol

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nope, I'm suggesting a Corolla or a Mazda 3. Shit, you might even be able to find a clean Mazda 6 in that range.

8. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I have yet to meet someone who has a horror story about Mazda. The Mazda3 is a fairly fun car to drive too.

9. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

Get her an older s-10

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Took me a bit to get used to one versus a VW but once I understood it and how it did things, it was a lot of fun. I could own a mazdaspeed 3 and not be bent out of shape. Hell, I liked the 3 so much that's what I took Sam's mom to buy.

11. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

Ok , after researching the min some more I think I'm leaning more towards just saying screw it and buying new, either a focus ST or Mazda speed 3 for me and giving her my car.....

Gonna go test driving tomorrow and see what kind of deals are being offered

12. jd96

jd96 Well-Known Member

e60 5 series can be pretty sick cars with a little bit of cash thrown at them. mine hasn't been too bad .... nothing I wouldn't have fixed on any other car really.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dude, with 0% for mazda 3 and the CX5, that's where I'd look.

14. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Mazda is on a roll. All their new models are winning all kinds of awards. I bought a new Mazda6 and am seriously impressed with the car. What you get for your money is incredible. The interior rivals $50k and $60k cars. Cruising at 80 mph with the A/C on and hilly terrain still gave me 35 mpg without any hybrid bullshit. And, the car calls for 87 octane. It has exceeded my expectations in every way.

15. TheGrouchyCat

TheGrouchyCat Don't let my friends know I'm slow

All I've owned is big ugly pickup trucks, but +1 on the civic. They're cheap to buy, cheap to own, and cheap to fix. [​IMG]
    Oh and she can take it to the track :beer:

16. duc995

duc995 Yep…

ConsumerReports says to stay away from used Minis, at least of those years, due to poor reliability.

17. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Test drive the Mazdaspeed3 before you buy...torque steer is very strong with that one....touchy clutch too, at least until you get your left foot recalibrated.

18. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

Asked my buddy last night for details on Mini. He just said stay away...

19. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Clutch replacement is an 11 hour job.

20. HondaSuperHawk

HondaSuperHawk Well-Known Member

I am going to also say Honda Fit for high school and college kids. They have an all around low cost of ownership (including insurance). They are very reliable and fit tons of crap in the back. It is also much easier to find a used fit with a manual than some of the other cars mentioned.