AR10 Which one?

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 3, 2015.

1. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Just a quick glance at their site, but that still seems to be the case. 325 for the cheapest assembled lower, 650 for the cheapest complete upper. Of course if I were building a large frame AR, I'd have to have at least an 18" barrel.

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Sig 716 isn't too much more than the Ruger.

3. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

:stupid:
    That's what I did.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  4. BillH37

BillH37 Active Member

Do any of y'all have an opinion on the M&P 10?

5. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Ar's and M1a's :rolleyes:

The only .308 worth have'n' :D

[​IMG]

6. jimraynor21

jimraynor21 Well-Known Member

7. Falcondrvr

Falcondrvr Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

They make an adapter for it that includes a proper buffer and spring as well. I'd have questions about reliability but I've never read of anyone complaining yet. Anyhow, if you're in a situation where reliability matters, you're probably running the 308 anyway. Guy in this article details some of the things he's done with this feature....

http://looserounds.com/2013/07/11/a-year-with-the-colt-901/

8. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I had my hands on one the other day, but the owner said it will beat the shit out of you so I passed for now.

9. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

10. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Just curious, how is this FN derivative different than a CETMA? I've wanted to get this same type of rifle but the CETMA gets raked over the coals as a complete piece of shite.

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Pretty sure that's an HK91 clone, not a FAL

12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

You are correct; I got my battle platforms wrong. So does anyone know how this one is better than a CETMA?

My bad, it's a CETME.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  13. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

The only thing that would be good for is setting your own face on fire. I mean, it's cool though.

HK/clones don't have bolt hold opens and are a challenge to mount optics on - notably the clones that use receivers bent in the US - they tend to not be as consistent to spec as HK.

I love/have an M1A clone, but the AR variants are easier to make shoot. The DPMS's I've seen shoot well, and are cheap. The bad parts are generally the trigger group, which you can probably replace with good stuff later, although I'll qualify that by saying there's a lot of variation in the AR10/SR25 specs.

I think the SIG 716 would be the way to go, personally.

14. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

NY compliant?

15. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

PA state game commision just ordered the Sig .308. With custom ingraving, deputies can buy them for 1700. Even though they are for sale around 1400.

16. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

The HK-91 platform, as reproduced in the US has some wildly varying quality control. The PTR-91, for example is pretty good. CETME, is pretty good. Those like Century, Hesse, Vulcan, and Federal haven't been graced with the best reputations. The differences are in the quality of castings, and the quality of the stamping.

PTR-91, or save your pennies for a real HK, or MKE (Turkish Licensed HK). Vector or Special Weapons Systems are also good for the 9mm sub-gun varieties (MP-5, Mp-5/40, HK-94).

For .308, I really like my FAL, although I've been looking at the Ruger 7.62 with some interest lately. A buddy of mine has one and he's let me use it. I like it, just not really willing to pony up the cash at the moment.

17. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Where can I buy the sig for $1400

18. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

for the price difference between a full rifle and just buying the upper and lower separate from what I understand, the "rifle" is taxed at a pretty high rate. In this case the lower is the "rifle" when it comes to AR platform. So then you can purchase the upper which is just an accessory for the lower. Lower tax rate. I just purchased a new 308 AR (as someone said, if its an AR10 it's an Armalite, if you are into semantics, which I know everyone here is). My lower came in last week and the upper should be here this week. They forgot to install the upgraded trigger so that came friday, so I have a bit of time to play with it and install the new trigger (BTW the OE ALG QMS trigger was pretty smooth).

Ruger makes some good AR's and the prices are pretty competitive for what you are getting (nice barrel, piston system, etc). Have read good things about the newer DPMS GII as well.

19. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

my bad, that's what I was seeing starting bids for on gunbroker. I just saw a few in the 1600 range.

20. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

It’s beginning to get even more interesting. While I’ve been putting together my Aero DPMS 308 build, (20 inch barrel, Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 FFP EBR-2C MRAD, Vortex Cantilever mount) I was also mulling over a straight walled AR-15 build and there it was!

I googled “AR-10 straight walled cartridge” Eureka!! I don’t have to order another AR-15 lower (not that there is anything wrong with that)

45 Raptor, I think I’ll assemble a 2nd Aero upper, order a barrel, gas block and a few magazines and boom shaka laka baby! Two AR10’s in one, math is hard but it just may be five more dangerous than an AR-15.:D