1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bike gear question

Discussion in 'General' started by t11ravis, Aug 20, 2015.

1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:stupid:
    I have a pair of Asterisk Cells that have saved my knees from all sorts of twists, hyperextensions and impacts.

2. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

I seriously never notice. 99.5% of the time my feet are on the pegs, so boot weight is irrelevant. If I need to rail a berm, sure foot comes out but that's a very small percentage of overall ride time. Now racing supermoto, that's a quad workout.

3. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

BTW check out the new Leatt knee braces, they don't have any hardware on the inside of the knee, game changer for me. Once I'm done with my ACL/MCL surgery, getting a set of those for sure.

4. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Update:
    Did about 3.5 hrs. Yesterday with my son and had a blast.
    Sorry, no gore.
    You guys were spot on, MX boots are a must. now I see why.:up:

5. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

99% of the time you do not need it but I have never regretted more or better gear...:D

6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

a word of advice... if you do end up doing a lot of offroad/woods riding (not just groomed mx tracks), get in a habit of riding through unfamiliar areas with your left foot back on the peg, not just hanging down under the shift lever. (the right foot will be up on the brake pedal or should be). A stump will cause a pretty serious injury if your toes hit it and get mashed between it and the footpeg.. even with good mx boots.

7. t11ravis

Good advice Greg. I was riding it like a street bike, wasn't covering the rear brake at all. :eek:

8. MELK-MAN

yea, lots and lots of rear on the dirty bikes.

9. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

He was talking more about simply having your toes up/back on your left foot, since there's a tendency to get lazy and just leave your foot under the shifter.

10. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I don't know man. I love me some front too except to change direction.

11. t11ravis

That definitely won't be a problem, I'm way more comfortable with the balls of my feet on the pegs.

12. t11ravis

I caught myself using a lot of front yesterday too, never had a problem. Probably wasn't going fast enough...

13. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

What's that saying....."those who have, and those who will!" :)

14. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I have ridden mx and gncc type stuff for almost 40 years and still can not ride on the arches. Balls of the feet will save you in some bad situations. Don't change...

15. kTMS4ME

kTMS4ME Well-Known Member

Sidi off road boots rock!

16. MELK-MAN

SIDI boots for the win for sure.. don't even waste your $ on $150 boots. you will regret it.

You can't ride fast on the balls of your feet all the time. there's just no way. ya need to be on the arches so you can work controls. in the woods, as i stated earlier, your toes pretty much never come off the rear brake pedal. In ruts or some areas, sure. move the foot back so you don't have the toes hanging down.. but there is NO WAY you can ride/race a 2 hour harescramble, or a 3 hr GNCC standing on the balls of your feet the entire time. no way.

and speaking of standing, stand when ya need to , sit when you can.. ;)

17. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

All is well in the woods/trails, but riding on the balls of your feet will get you sprained ankles and ruptured achilles on an MX track. Overjump or come up short on something big and you'll have a bad day.

Oh, and Garne SG12's. Get em. :up:

18. MELK-MAN

OH yea, gotta have both.
    Funniest thing.. few years back i got a roadracin buddy into riding some dirt. He was arguably the hardest braker on his gsxr1k i have ever seen or raced. ...

but he would NOT use the front brake in the dirt.. As ya know, there simply isn't any way to go exceptionally fast in dirt without using front brakes, let alone rear.

19. MELK-MAN

for sure..! and even in woods/cross country, you can't use your calf muscles for any extended period going from sitting to standing. And as stated earlier, you aren't in a "ready" position covering controls on the balls of your feet.

sidi ... LOL ;)

20. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

How would you slide the rear into a corner then dump the clutch in third and BRRAAAAPP! Shift BRAAAAAAAPP! out of the corner while your riding on the balls of your feet? F I need to go dirtbiking like right now.