1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm buying a boat...

Discussion in 'General' started by jp636, Apr 26, 2015.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Yeah. Check the State laws concerning walking around in the boat while it's moving. On crowded waterways (4th Jul, etc.), the Fish-n-Feather guys can be pretty hawkish.
    Example, in PA, 21' is the minimum for walking in a moving boat. Dick around in a 19' and they'll cite you quicker than towin' skiers with a sight-seein' spotter.

2. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

They hit you for some weird things here in the south but i've never heard about walking in a moving boat.

I've seen some folks with balls the size of watermelons on the water here. 17' bass boats 20+ miles out into the Gulf of Mexico fishing at the oil rigs. No effing way you'd catch me doing that.

3. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

And even sometimes even on smaller water. Got caught in a quick storm that blew through the other day. TN river, just below the Chickamauga dam. Running back to the ramp, the storm was blowing up river, against current, making some nice, big whitecaps. They were spaced out just right that as the bow would drop between swells, the next would break over the bow. Bilge pump was working OT. I just have a little 16' skiff, but have been looking for something in the 20' range. Also to make a few trips to FL.

[​IMG]

4. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Ryan, don't know about skiing. Probably some tubing. It'll spend 90% of the time at Lake Oconee. When I do pull, it will be with the Durango. The 5.7 engine and towing package. Primarily going to be for cruising.

5. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Welp my speaker problem consisted of a speaker wire falling out of the crimp connector. First world problems...

6. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Question: I was told just to hand tighten the drain plug. I'm that kind of guy that over tightened the oil filter on his first bike, so I don't want to be that guy in the boat crowd. The plug fits my 22 metric socket. Should I use a wrench? (Obviously I won't crank the shit out of it)

7. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

I always just hand tightened on my boat. Was similar to yours for what its worth.

Edit...assuming you are talking about the water drain plug.

8. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

The drain plug has tapered threads, basically pipe threads. Make sure it's snug, but not too tight or you could crack the drain fitting and f up your transom. I have seen folks safety wire/lanyard their plug into place after gently tightening, I have also seen the results of reefing the damn thing tight.

Just tight enough so it doesn't fall out.

9. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

2 happy days

I think I like selling a boat about as well as buying a boat . I've sold two of my collection this spring. one of them yesterday. pretty happy day . only 5 more to go, unless I buy another. well gotta go do some sewing this morning. b bill and darethea

10. fastfreddie

Pics of the remaining inventory?

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

late to this thread, because I thought the motto is if it "f**ks or floats, rent it"

12. barnacle bill

all sail boats

all sailboats but one aluminum skiff .

ericson 25 cb
    victoria 18 cutter
    victoria 18 sloop
    nordica 16
    sam rable titmouse 15 ft wood
    al skiff

Attached Files:

13. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

I do not want to hijack someone elses thread, but it may help someone out, including me. If you want a larger boat, consider this. I have a Regal Ambassador 233XL that I bought new. Added A/C, 2kw inverter, radios, a new aluminum trailer w/ disc brakes, and lots of cool toys. Always kept on trailer in garage. The kids grew up and I just don't use it anymore. I want to sell it, but I will not deal with Craigs list or eBay. I would rather sell it cheap than deal with that crap. It has a 270HP Volvo Duoprop (350cu in). Has full shower and toilet, hot water, refrigerator, alcohol/electric cooktop, full canvas package, and sleeps 4 adults. This is not a good picture, but good enough to give you an idea. Towing weight is roughly 6000lb loaded. PM if interested. I'm east of Atlanta. It would be worth a drive for someone. I take $10k. You can't buy a good smaller boat for this amount.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  14. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

I clicked on your pick and it kept taking me to the App Store.

15. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I got the pick on a photobucket account.

16. fastfreddie

Interesting collection. Which one is the most fun?

17. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

Funny as hell,racers talking about a boat being a waste of money,at least the rest of your family can enjoy wasting the money too.

18. barnacle bill

vic cutter

I am partial to the Victoria cutter right now . it a pretty rare boat. only 5 of them were built . around 900 of the sloops were built though. it's the 3rd vic I've restored and I have another sloop waiting to be reworked. I try to do one or two a year . I started sewing making and repairing things for the boats and just progressed into the leather work. it all keeps me busy. b bill and darethea

19. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

That's part of the reason why I changed money blowing hobbies.

20. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I sold this....errrrr, I mean lost my ass on this....over the winter. Medical emergency forced sell.
    Looking to get another boat, but with twin screws.
    Heck with wasting money on motorbikes for the past 20+ yrs. lol.

Oh, the '07 E250 van in the pic is for sale.

[​IMG]