1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frame sliders. Yes or No

Discussion in 'General' started by cajun636, Apr 3, 2015.

?

Frame sliders yes or no

1. Yes they protect my bike.

34 vote(s)
    58.6%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. No because they make the bike flip.

10 vote(s)
    17.2%
  1. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

So what's everyone's take on it. This should be like a oil thread but I never remember seeing one.

2. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I like the shorter "race" style that don't protrude beyond the fairings.

3. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

I voted yes as I've had good luck so far with them protecting the frame but like above I use the short race style Woodcraft. Even so I realize it's a crap shoot and one of these days I'm likely to curse having them as every crash is different. Sometimes they help, sometimes they cause a lot more additional damage.

4. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Our mini track requires them.

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I voted yes. The 1 time I crashed at the track and the 1 time I crashed on the street sliders spared the bike a tremendous amount of damage.

6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

shorties.. not "longies". Don't use "no-cut" brackets either. cut bodywork, don't use brackets for frame sliders.. had one bend around and punch a hole in an 04 r6 frame. That got expensive.

7. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

Eh I'm torn. I lost a frame in my zx6r from the wood craft ones. I kind of want a set on the zx10 but I'm not finding any that are close to flush with the bodywork..

8. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Absolutely, but as many have said, the shorty mushroom style.

I will say that I recently had a rather ugly crash on the street while riding my son's SV. It had standard frame sliders and damn if it didn't completely protect the side of the bike that laid down on the street.

9. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

What he said. I use Woodcraft's short race style. :up:

10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Never had woodcrafts... Had some no name long ones that saved a TLR several times on track.. Then Vortexs and Yoshimuras do the same...it's not about the slide... It's about the tumble... It can happen with or without em.. All depends on your scenario...

11. alocker

alocker Well-Known Member

No because the break frames and motor mounts. Even if they flip it's easier to replace subframes and bodywork than frames and cases.

12. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Nope, I use just the engine guards on my 1000 which has the engine sticking out a little on both sides. I have been down twice and both times minimal damage to bodywork or anything else. No two crashes are the same however. Some guys crash better than others. I'm guilty of hanging on to the bike to long so maybe that minimizes my damage I dunno.

Last thing you want is something that sticks out and will hook into the dirt and flip the bike. Its a crap shoot really to have of not to have. I made the decision not to use them.

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Broke an engine bolt with some "low profile" brand name sliders after a small lowside. Just glad the remaining fastner wasnt corroded in the case. Prefer case guards and maybe axle /tank sliders.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid:

My answer is, it depends. Depends on the bike, depends on the slider, depends on the track and the soil the slider can dig into and so on.

15. No. I have a motor sitting in my garage that has a crack in the block (Ducati) where it hit on the slider. I refuse to use them. Good engine covers only here.

16. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

+1 to Woodcraft case covers. Had a few lowsides with them and they protect very well. Like others have said, bodywork is repairable and cheap compared to broken engine stuff.

17. Starface111

Starface111 Well-Known Member

No more frame sliders for me. My bike has become airborne several times at the track. Case sliders- YES!!! Bodywork is easier to replace than gas tanks, rear wheels, subframes, forks.

18. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I had a slow off on my ZX10 that snapped the Yosh ones I had at the bolt. Still stuck in there.

I don't normally run them anymore.

19. Knotcher

R&G race style.

20. Knotcher

Meh, I have a GSXR without them that flipped and snapped the frame at the welds on both sides. I have a ZX10R with them that only slid and survived with minimal damage.