1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any of you guys do insulation work?

Discussion in 'General' started by ClemsonsR6, Feb 4, 2015.

1. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

I'm looking to spray foam our house during construction. If I can get a hook up on the price and help out a BBSer, then it's a win/win. House is in the Columbia, SC area.

2. aflaim

aflaim Well-Known Member

We do not do residential work in you area, but if you have questions ask away.
    I would recommend hiring a company that has SPFA certified sprayers
    You should be able to find a good company at spfa dot org
    Good luck

3. ClemsonsR6

Thanks Aflaim. Just out of curiosity, who do you work for and why wouldn't they consider doing residential work?

I'll send you some more questions through PM later tonight.

4. spcassell

spcassell Well-Known Member

We did a 2,000 sqft. adding 2 tons of A/C to our house several years ago. We installed Icynene to the addition and at the same time vacuumed out the existing 2,700 sqft. attic installing Icynene there as well. When it was all said and done our power bill actually ticked down a little bit. It's a great product. Never seen the attic temps above 85 degrees. Also a side benefit is that all of the stuff you store in the attic doesn't get destroyed by the excessive attic temps.

5. Trev230EX

Trev230EX Put me in coach

One of my clients built his home with it. I was just over at his house and it's been almost a year now since they moved in. 7600 sqft all Icynene. Said the power and gas bills are 20+% less than his previous home that was 3400sqft. Old home was full brick, custom built by one of Charlotte's most well known luxury builders. Second (newest) home is designed to look like a farmhome and has a mix of stone,shake, and stucco accents. He told me it wasn't that much more than typical insulation product you would use on a higher end home.

6. ClemsonsR6

Well.....checked into the local guys this morning....they all said to expect 3 times the normal cost of fiberglass. That'd be a rough estimate of like 40 grand......wowzers!!!

7. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

There's an intermediate method you can do that requires a little work by you but worth it. Have the rafter sprayed with foam. Then, before putting the fiberglass in the walls, order a Hilti foam gun and a case of foam. Where the OSB meets the studs, trace the perimeter of each cell with the foam. It creates individual air cavities instead of allowing the air to transition. My rafters being foamed in my new house is running me about $3600 more and the foam gun and foam for my walls just cost me a total of $415 from Hilti. I did this when I was building and it's a great intermediate. You will see a difference in your energy bills this way. You'll only have a couple of hours on the top end doing your house.

If you have specific questions about this, hit me at [email protected].

8. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I've never used Hilti's foam, but every Hilti tool I own or have used has been the best tool I've ever seen. They make awesome stuff.

10. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

I've always loved my Hilti tools. Still have my powder gun from when I used to shoot down my plates. One of these days I really should sell that thing I guess.

11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Hilti stuff you only buy once. I rented their full size jackhammer. I was so impressed I wanted to buy one, until I heard the priceā€¦.WOW.

12. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Yup, you do truly pay for quality but they are one of the few companies I can honestly say you get your monies worth.

Clemson, have they started your house yet or getting ready to? If need to see what I'm talking about in action, if you'd like to make a day trip to Lake Oconee when I do it, you're welcome to. Should only be two hours or a little less of a drive.

13. JRA

JRA Well-Known Member

That's probably about right, maybe a little more even. Also, you want to ask if they install open cell or closed cell foam, or if you have the choice. Closed cell is supposedly more efficient but cost more.

Foam is becoming more common in residential construction in my area now, but it's still pretty much limited to high end homes due to the cost. The ROI just isn't there yet when you consider that most people who are building aren't building their final dream home. They'll likely move at some point in the future, and the energy savings over the next few years won't offset the additional cost of the foam. So either the cost of the foam needs to come down, or energy costs need to go up, or both, before it will be widely used IMO.

14. ClemsonsR6

No, we haven't broken ground yet. We're looking to have a builder chosen by the end of the month and get going in March.

Definitely let me know when you do your Lake Oconee house....if I can make it down, I'd certainly be interested.

15. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

If you can't make it I'll get some video. I was going to see about that to add to the company website as well.