1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No transmission dipstick

Discussion in 'General' started by 6_Myles, Jan 17, 2015.

1. 6_Myles

6_Myles Well-Known Member

Why does a transmission exist without a dipstick? I mean, I need special software, a special measuring 'gauge' and a special chart to determine if my fluid is low.

Is this some trend that I'm just now becoming aware of?

2. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

AUDI is it?

3. 6_Myles

6_Myles Well-Known Member

VW Routan (Rebadged Chrysler Town & Country)

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

My first thought.

Mercedes has the same system IIRC.

5. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

My Touareg TDI doesn't even have a dipstick for the oil. It is an electronic gauge available in the menu. Pain in the ass for DIY oil changes. This is where the world is going, so get used to it.

6. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Sealed transmission. Supposed to be good for 75-100k before you have to take it to the dealer for a change. They don't want you messing with it.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Routan? The dipstick is driving!:Poke:

8. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Here ya go...

Attached Files:

9. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

The transmission on my GT500 doesn't have a dipstick. Make sure it's level, drain it, fill it back up until it dribbles out and close her up.

-steve

10. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

Whats even better is theyre doing away with dipsticks for the engine. Pretty soon the hood will be locked and only the dealership will have a key.

11. nantahala

nantahala Well-Known Member

:D

There were no dipsticks for the Land Rover Discovery Series IIs starting in 1999... Of course, the plan was for all the electronics to fail and the car to be undriveable before the transmission choked.

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Isn't it the Porsche Boxster that doesn't even have access to the engine from above?

13. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Total bollox eh, they want your trans shitting itself so there dealer gets to fix it

14. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

My last two Toyota Tundras had no 'dipstick' and zero problems either pullin #8000 lbs all over the SE and SW US. It becomes a point where the manufacturers have to take the idiot owner out of the equation of ownership. To many over fills when not needed, to many putting the wrong shit in them.

Toyota WS transmissions are not known for problems. Its not something I lose sleep over.

15. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Is this any different than the dumbing down of sportbikes with all the electronic gizmos?

16. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Maybe :D

17. duc995

duc995 Yep…

CVT transmission in my Subaru XV Crosstrek has no dipstick, and requires a factory electronic gizmo to determine correct fill up after draining.

18. racergary

racergary Well-Known Member

My 06 Dodge Hemi has the channel but no stick.

No trouble yet in 98,000 miles.

My power steering res has a stick even tho when you you pull the cap you can eye ball the level.No eye balling the trans that way..

19. alocker

alocker Well-Known Member

My 2012 Camry does not have one. The dealer quoted my $500 for a filter and refill because it takes so long to get the correct level using the temp gauge in Techstream. Maintenance schedule does not even have a trans service and it stops at 120k. My plan was to drain it and measure the drained amount and replace.

20. Lifetime fluid in a ZF transmission. That funny right thar. Price a replacement? Planned obsolescence at its finest.