1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nelson Ledges

Discussion in 'General' started by stymie12000, Nov 28, 2014.

1. tracaddict

tracaddict Well-Known Member

No all of the NC guys had an agreement to not show up is what I was told. Had Nelson been a combined region like in the past, I know for certain a hand full of guys including myself would have been there.

2. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I think Nelson Ledges has shifted their business model.

They run "fun days" for cars that don't demand perfect pavement and generate revenue.

They also have MotoSeries in an interesting (albeit potentially conflicted) position. I am assuming MS commits to a certain number of rounds at Nelson each year. In 2014, they cancelled or delayed round one due to track conditions. That was the impetus behind Todd becoming track manager. Whether he meant to or not, he's become responsible for his own club's primary "out" for canceling a round. Possible conflict of interest.

Nelson also ran a LeMons race a few years ago. I foresee more of that type of event. Track conditions matter less. The same is true with law enforcement training rentals. I saw police vehicles on the local news driving the front straight counter-race.

3. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

You're past your prime anyway. Daughters add at least a second a lap ;-)

4. tracaddict

tracaddict Well-Known Member

Lol, isn't that the truth!

5. shakenbake

shakenbake Looking for my Burrow Owl

The track was fun at one time. They have really let it goto $hit the last few years. The last time I raced there, a cone was placed in a pothole in T4 so it could be seen. Heard it's just got much worse sense then. I've heard several reports of damaged Rad's, broken Windscreens and etc. It's not worth my time and effort to drive to that track, let alone to actual pay money to race on that $hit surface.

Bowling Green is up and running, it could fill the void nicely. The track that shall not be named would also be nice as well, but that is a fantasy.

6. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

PIRC has their "full course" scheduled with at least one trackday org for August of 2015. I have always liked the North Course on its own, even with the bumps in turns 7 and 8. If they grind down the bumps AND get the South Track completed on schedule, the full track will be close to 3 miles, and should be a ton of fun.

That would also open the possibility for WERA to run up to 4 rounds at PIRC. One of each configuration (north, south, combined), plus a duplicate of whichever becomes the favorite. People will forget about Nelson quickly... The PIRC ownership is really putting a lot of money into the facility.

7. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

With all that's being done at "the beave" will any org be able to afford to rent it?

8. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I discussed it with 3 different guys and they all said regardless of points etc.. they weren't attending for safety concerns. I don't think it was and agreement to boycott (at least that's not the sense I got) but most weren't willing to risk it.

9. jlawrider

jlawrider Well-Known Member

I will have to stand with my OHIO brother. Farewell Nelson...I've seen better crappers in third world countries! Face it, the only reason we all went was for championship points!

(also my first post in many years, haha) :stupid:

10. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I was glad to be able to go and race there. Feel even luckier that I went the last time WERA raced there. For the mean time at least. :up:

11. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

Bucky and me had a great race there last year. He was riding real well, was all I could do to beat him for the overall. Sorry to hear it is done but, it is easy to see why. The track always had that club racer atmosphere, unlike all of the mostly high end tracks that are raced at now.

Lots of fun times and good memories and one tragedy I will never forget.

The toilets did get an upgrade from a pipe with a seat on it to ones that flushed. They left a few of the stalls the way they were. Sentimental fools I guess. I think I have a picture somewhere, I am a fool too.

One of the funniest things I ever saw there was when they were putting in showers in the bathroom way before the flushable ones went in and the place stunk. Well, it still stunk last year too even with the flushers. The workers putting in the showers were taking a coffee break right in there where the showers were going in. I guess they couldnt smell it any more. They were eating food too. :Puke:

12. joec

joec brace yourself

fwiw......schubie only put bathrooms in, in about the past 5 years..before that, there was nothing. zero. you gotta poop.....head towards the tree line.

general consensus was, you there to race, or have a nice cozy bathroom?

I don't think anyone really complained.

13. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

Shoooooot. With all the stacked tires they have, there are practically a thousand toilets at that place. Just don't pick one with a beehive. That would not end well.

14. ped

ped Banned

MS dudes are talking about redoing the bathrooms pro bono and all that jazz

15. stymie12000

stymie12000 Well-Known Member

That's nice!!! at least MS will have a nice place to put there shit!!! haha:crackup:

16. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

It is a shame Nelson does not have a owner with a pride of place.
    Seeing what the owner of BHF has done with his track, makes the state of Nelson all the more sad.

Nelson could be a great track with some reconfiguration and a over-all do over of the property. ( paving and new buildings )

17. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Waking up the zombie Nelson thread to spread the latest rumor. There was confirmation that a sale was pending on 2/9/16. That post has since been removed from their facebook page, but so has the 2016 schedule they'd previously published.

It would appear that the sale has gone through. No word on precisely who has purchased the track, but since the previous owner passed, it seems like his family was either more reasonable, or more motivated to price it well.

Stay tuned.

18. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

19. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I really have no idea why people like that place so much. A full repave will only make it faster and enhance the already dangerous layout.

Unless they plan on purchasing the land next to it, leave it for the cagers.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The layout rocks. Agree on runoff needing fixing before a repave.