1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

yes, Justice Scalia, you were wrong

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ton, Sep 3, 2014.

1. flamed03r1

flamed03r1 Well-Known Member

Do the workers get paid?

2. flamed03r1

No, but wiki apparently does and that program searches a hell of a lot more than one source.

3. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

Nice edit. the first source you gave was about jail, not prison.
    prison, not jail.

jails typically cost a lot more.

Wiki lists what i though it would list...there are cheap states (the boot) that charges 13k a year. and there are expensive states (cali) that charge up to 47k.

texas, which executes the most, is near the lower at 17

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  4. flamed03r1

According to them...Brazil does...or rather the taxpayers.

5. flamed03r1

It's almost midnight here. I'm done. :beer:

6. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Damn, so you are in the M.E?

That explains it! :crackup:

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

If any, not much.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Well poopies then. I guess 17 years of being facility manager for two doesn't count for jack spit.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Prisons are cheaper than jails, because, by and large, jails are filled with legally innocent people. One of the largest costs is medical care. Jails often get people committing misdemeanors just to get treatment for some chronic problem.

Vertical jails cost more to operate than a more horizontal layout. It takes more manpower because few jails will allow a single jailer to enter an elevator with prisoners. Gotta be at least two so manpower costs are higher. I would expect CA, NY, IL and other union states to have higher operating costs. Maintenance costs are higher in jails because your guests have all day to sit around figuring out how to screw things up. Some of them are quite devious.

10. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

ya, inner city jails are expensive as hell!

jails also need more workers per inmate than prisons do.

11. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Ok, I understand your position now. Thanks.:up:

12. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I agree. Remove all the niceties of life in prison and make it a place where one does not want to come back to. It's suppose to be punishment, not a facility of higher learning for criminal actions and watching soap operas on big screen tvs.

13. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

That is how the prison I worked at (angola) was run. It is the last prison left that still has a chain gang, officers on horses, and gun lines. They also have animal husbandry programs and is the last prison with a rodeo.

it averaged out to 34 bucks a day per prisoner, there.

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

IMHO, a convicted felon, if they get out, is not going to find it easy to get a job. A working prison could provide a skill that might give them a chance at something approaching a decent life. It can't be any worse than the current set-up.

15. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I agree.
    But losing your youth to a prison term instead of a death sentence isn't much better. You can't have those years back.

16. LosPer

LosPer Active Member

Any opportunity to jump on a Justice who's philosophy you don't share?

Yes folks, we are a polarized country...largely due to the idiocy of people like this, and their desire to score political points like sport.

Sigh.

17. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

The thing is, most of the prisoners at angola is serving life. Most of the dudes who do work are lifers.

If i remember right, the majority of the trustees were lifers.

18. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

You can still do something with your remaining years. you can only haunt people if you die. :D

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Angola is only one of many. Not all are filled with lifers.

20. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

What is the answer to that problem? We certainly cannot allow criminals to continue to walk the streets just because they're young. What do we do with them?