charleston, sc

Discussion in 'General' started by jimfowler, May 26, 2014.

1. jimfowler

jimfowler Well-Known Member

wife and i are toying with the notion of moving within the next few years. one place that caught her eye was charleston. so, what's the situation? if you live(d) there and wanna tell me what you like and don't like, i'd appreciate it. we live in queens, ny now so this is our current point of reference.

the perks (so far as i can tell):

1. better weather
    2. closer to more tracks
    3. WAY more affordable

the cons:

1. far fewer amenities
    2. gotta drive everywhere (is the place sprawling or could one feasibly ride a bicycle to and fro? is there lots of pedestrian traffic? that's what we're used to here.)

2. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

I must admit this made me laugh.... We hang out in Charleston lots due to my family being from there. We think they have everything you need and I take my road bike and ride all over, including the bridges. The good news is people will not be shooting at you.... We may move there after my daughter graduates from school in 8 more years. BTW, I live in the mountains..... :D

3. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Dude....

Be prepared to sweat. We're talking 98 degrees, and 100% humidity. The effin INSTANT you walk out the door in summertime, you're covered in sand and salt.

PLUS....they have misquitos the size of shoeboxes.

Other than that I guess it's ok.:D

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Can't speak for Charleston proper but I used to put on the summer concert series on Daniel Island at the Family Circle stadium. Been a while since I've been there but it was a pretty cool place and growing then. It's right outside of Charleston.

5. jimfowler

don't you "dude" me, bud ; ) she and both grew up in the deep south (louisiana and mississippi, respectively) so we actually like the heat. either way, it beats the shit out of being cold for half the year.

furthermore, i'm a mechanic so the longer riding season has gotta be better for business. it's slim pickins for too long here while everybody has their bikes stored for the winter.

6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Call Kevin at KWS, he might need a good wrench. He's a good guy to work for.

7. jimfowler

i appreciate the tip. we're not ready to move just yet but i'll keep it in mind for the future.

8. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Haha. Mississippi for me too. I guess I just got sick of it. We vacation every year around Charlestown so it ain't all bad. The other stuff I got no clue. Hope it works out. You'll only be three short hours away from where I live in the foothills of the Blue Ridge. C'mon up and lets go riding. I'll have beer.:up::D:clap:

9. jimfowler

no shit? i grew up in hattiesburg. i also prefer pbr. maybe it's fate...

10. trispdtrip

trispdtrip Poor, Fat, Slow Racer

My brother in law lives there. He owns Charleston Culinary Tours, so he knows a great deal about the town and places to go. Let me know if you want me to hook the two of y'all together. Not like that but you know what I mean. :beer:

11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Maybe you guys are brothers:Poke:

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I'd drown and shoot myself if I found that out about LeadNoggin.

13. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Like long lost brothers.:clap:

14. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Shut it.

15. 771Doug

771Doug V6HW #686

When I joined the Navy (1983) that was my first duty station. I REALLY liked it there. I had always expected to retire in Charleston, but decided that it just wasn't big enough for my ex-wife and I. She grew up there so she had dibs. Turns out that Virginia Beach was a good compromise for me.

There is the roach thing, though. You either have 'em or you lie about it.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  16. crepitus

crepitus I gots nuthin

My Dad lived there for many years when I was growing up and I would stay with him there alot. Love Charleston. It's one of two places I've said I could actually relocate to, once the kids are out of the house. You'll quickly learn the SC wave when greeting people. ;)

17. Chip

Chip Registered

It sucks......you don't want to move here....

18. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

Especially if Chip lives the next block over. :D

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

:up:

Weather sucks, people are not friendly, nothing to do.

20. jimfowler

Chip - care to elaborate?