1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2014 Rules

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Mongo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Harris SRX in V4

Sean & V4 participants -

I have a Harris-framed SRX600 (air cooled Yamaha single) that I'd like to run in V4. The Yamaha SRX600 is legal for V4 (twin shock). However, V4 rules state no monoshock. The Harris frame is a monoshock. I believe the "no monoshock" rule was implemented so that Ducati F1's and the like could not outclass everything in V4 - they have to go to V5. The SRX600, fully built, is a 54 - 55 hp bike. The monoshock set up, candidly, does handle better than the twin shock stocker. However, it will never run, at least with me at the controls, with built Cagiva 650's, Yamaha 550's (particularly if Wayne Shelton is piloting), GPZ 550's, or the other V4 spec bikes. I'd like to have another option to ride on Saturdays.

Any objections to my running the Harris SRX in V4, even tho' it runs afoul of the no monoshock rule?

Everyone's consideration and comments and thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

2. charles

charles The Transporter

You can do whatever you'd like, Dave, mono or twin, doesn't matter to me…:up:

3. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Why not run it in V5? Eric Mercer ran his SRX in V5 with very good results.

4. charles

charles The Transporter

You stay out of this!

5. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Too late.

6. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Harris SRX -Update

OK -

There is a bit more to this than I realized. The monoshock arrangement was all I focused on, but it turns out there are other "considerations." The Harris frame is a "deltabox" type of arrangement which is V6LW material, and it has upside down forks which are V5 - V6 material. Photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't run the fairing and low clip-ons - at 6'-2" and 200 lbs I cannot fit on the bike in that arrangement. I have high bars and run it naked so the human air damn is in full effect.

So, here's the deal: The frame arrangement puts the bike into V5 - V6 classes. The engine would have it essentially running in V2 (along with SR500's, etc). The rider would have it in the Mini's class. I've run it at the same tracks on the same weekends as Roy Chapman on his V3 Yamaha 750 and he walks away from the Harris SRX (not that the difference in pilot capabilities have anything to do with the equation). I average all that and suggest V4 for the bike. I'm jus' sayin' . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

7. Fireball

Fireball Well-Known Member

The mono-shock gpz 550 must run in v5. I didn't know that a aftermarket frame was legal in the V classes designed for built street bikes. Clubman?

8. charles

charles The Transporter

Very lovely machine, Dave. for sure it fits in somewhere, I suppose it's up to the V4 riders to chime in on it…by the way, if you could lean down to about 165, it would drop the air resistance and your lap times will improve…I would recommend Irish Oatmeal 3 X daily with the occasional soyburger (no condiments).

9. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

Well...only the mono shock, upside down forks, and delta box frame are illegal. Maybe you should have framecrafters build you a class legal frame and sell the Harris to someone who can actually use it to its full potential....legally.

I volunteer...would be a great V6lw project. I just happen to have the perfect engine for it.:up:

10. charles

charles The Transporter

and what engine would that be? Let me guess...

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

While it is cool, can't base rules on the riders, have to base them on the bikes.

12. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

Four-2-wun...

13. charles

charles The Transporter

ahahaha…like i couldnt guess! You clever lad! Very nice dealio if it fits into that frame...

14. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Understood about not classifying riders by inabilities. As much as I'd like to create a class for old, slow, fat guys like me, I doubt many would sign up for it simply to avoid admiting to the classification. Me? Hell, I live it every day.

My point is, primarily, despite all the hi-tech (for the era) stuff on the bike, it is still, and only, a 600cc air cooled single. And, even with Jim Moodie aboard (he won the 1995 or '96 IoM TT Singles class on a Harris-framed single similar to this bike), it ain't gonna beat a Cagiva 650 or GPZ550 or Yammie 550, particularly if any are ridden by Wayne Shelton, Terry Scoggins, Doug Bowie (you know I'm desperate when I start heaping praise on Dougie . . . ;).

It is Clubman legal. I'm simply looking to race it Saturday, not Sunday. And all V4 bikes are Clubman legal. Sooooo, that is the final blurb I'll post in support. I'm interested in what V4 guys have to say. Anyone out there . . . ?

Cheers,

Dave

15. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I am a V-4 guy, Seca 550, and I don't think it is a V-4 bike. However, since I am also and old fat slow guy it might be a good race.

Ken

16. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Thanks Ken.

Cheers,

Dave

#156 Well-Known Member

I have no problem with it dave, if sean will allow it. :up: Run it anyway, i'll never protest ya! HaHa.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  18. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Thanks Wayne. I just want something that will give me a chance of not being lapped by you. :up:

Cheers,

Dave

19. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Btw I wouldn't care if you ran it in v 4. I don't think that bike has too much of an advantage and I wouldn't protest.

20. VintageRacerRoy

VintageRacerRoy Well-Known Member

I am ok with the Harris SRX in V4. I won't protest unless you beat me:clap: