1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sport Touring bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Jan 10, 2014.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It's not really "new" is it? It's the same bike but with some slight updates. It's stuff the bike needed but I'm not sure it's enough to justify spending $12k for a new one instead of picking up a nice used one for less than half that.

2. Thanks, that is what I like to hear.

3. Yep, all new...from the ground up. No more under tail exhaust, upgraded body that looks similar to the new CBR600RR, etc.

Initial reports were that the US would only get the 1200cc version (not new) and only EU would get the all new 800cc. But I recently read that it is coming over here too.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Quit yapping and buy a damn Multi.

5. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I had a few V-Tech VFR's. Toured on one cross country (ATL - California - ATL). Good bikes, but not Bike of the Year territory. A FZ1 would walk circles around a VFR in every aspect. I think V-Tech is the most annoying part, something you can ride around… but just annoying.

6. :D

I wish I could get the Multi motor, suspension and brakes...on the VFR body.

I love the Multi on paper, but damn that beak. And there is way too much of an air gap between the front wheel and the bodywork. It is like the front wheel is too small.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's actually pretty capable in situations where the space is a good thing.

I wasn't a huge fan of the looks either but it's grown on me. I do kind of want to make the snorkels carbon tho.

8. Pepsi Drinker

Pepsi Drinker Well-Known Member

Get the Ninja 1000 with the hard bags option, you won't be disappointed. If the bars are an issue as you thought it was "too sporty", which I find funny. Get risers but they are already up high and wide.
    You can find them brand new for under 10k all day long, you can't go wrong with that

9. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

This.

Such an incredible machine. Flip a switch and it goes from docile comfy tourer to snarling hyper sportbike. I've never loved a street bike this much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Same here. It could look like a BMW and I'd still love it the way it rides.

By far the best bike I've ever owned.

11. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

Having done a 12k tour of US on one, I would have to disagree. I remember my friends F3 CBR 600 having much more legroom. It got the job done, but a dedicated sport tourer would be the way to go, i.e. fjr, concours. Those bikes just don't feel cool to ride though.

The "new" VFR is simply a regurgitated 10+ year old design with a couple small changes. The Ninja 1000 would be way more comfortable for distance than the VFR.

What's peaked my interest recently is the 1190 R KTM. Thing has 150 hp that you can tame or unleash with a myriad of electronics. There's video of a guy doing 130 mph wheelies on it. It's like a giant 690 SMC that you can ride for 12 hours straight, with wind protection and hard luggage.

The also have a traction control system that keeps the bike from standing up. I.e. if your leaned into a corner hard, and hit the front brakes, the abs will modulate to continue braking the bike without making the bike stand up. Cool vid on youtube about it.

Probably be my next bike.

12. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

The Multistrada is well... a Ducati. It offers great performance, but fit and finish is subpar and the transmission is shit. The test unit I rode for a week had 3000 miles on it was missing shifts quite often (a well known issue with 2013 models, I don't know if they fixed it). Plus you just know all the electronic gizmos are going to fail.
    But it handles extremely well and the engine pulls like a mofo.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I know people who have run theirs to South America and back - multiple times - with no failure of electronics or transmissions. Granted the aftermarket brackets for their bags didn't hold up to a couple of crashes and some jumps but the bikes were flawless.

14. shakenbake

shakenbake Looking for my Burrow Owl

The Multi is the BEST street bike I've ever owned. It's the bee's knee's, buy one, you won't be disappointed.

15. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Have you considered giving one of these a look?

[​IMG]

I think it's ride and performance might shock the ever living crap out of you. It's NO sportbike but it's surprisingly nimble and COMFORTABLE! It's the most technologically advanced bike I've ever owned having abs, traction/wheelie control, in dash tpms (if I choose to buy the wheel sensors). The motor is probably the strongest component and what most mc rags go on about.

Here's another one all dressed up for the longer tours>
    [​IMG]

16. Yeah, Lora's dealership has various Triumphs (Tiger/Explorer, Trophy, Sprint GT). I love my Sprint ST but I'm looking for something a lil more comfortable for long range trips (I sometimes take trips where I ride for 800-1000mi in a day and a lot of it is on the interstate).

The Trophy is too oldmanish and the Tiger (and various forms of it) is ugly as hell to me. I don't like the Adventure looking bikes and hate those square bags.

If I don't like the Multi when I test it, then ill get a Concours.

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Did some checking - it has the same frame and engine but about everything else is new - bodywork, forks, subframe, exhaust, swingarm, shock, wheels, gauges, lights. I like it but for two things - it's a little slow to get such poor gas mileage, and you cannot switch it to GP shift unless you completely rework the rearset arrangement because the shifter is mounted directly to the shaft.

18. Can't swap my Sprint either. A few guys on the Sprint forum have tried to get creative, but nobody has been successful that I know of.

I love the looks of the new 800 VFR, but it looks kinda small and I don't know if I would like something that weak. I prefer Liter bikes on the street.

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It IS weak. I sold mine not long after getting dusted on an onramp by a mustang :(

20. That would get on my nerves quick.