777 Missing

Discussion in 'General' started by mfbRSV, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Stirz

Stirz Makes my butt look big

This thing is getting weirder and weirder - no one has taken credit, no demands have been made..... So what happened/happens to the passengers if they ended up landing it somewhere?

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Did you watch that US Airways jet land on the Hudson River?
    In a controlled water landing, the airplane will not necessarily break apart. And if it sank in one piece, there's no reason for debris to be floating around.

3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Why would hijackers on a suicide mission opt for a soft landing and a slow drowning? That the part that makes no sense to me in the water landing scenario.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Do we know that they were on a suicide mission?
    What if they ran out of fuel?

5. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I saw one article from a pilot saying that couldn't happen with this plane. that it was just too heavy and would break up. now I have no idea if he was right or not but it did make sense somewhat.

6. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Then they're idiots.

7. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

That plane had just left the runway and landed in the river. It was a smaller plane as well. The 777 would have come down from the altitude that it normally flies at and would have been carrying some speed. I just don't think it would have hit the water like an olympic diver and just vanished. If it had stayed in one piece it would have floated for at least a little bit. Any water that would have filled it up would have dispersed oil and what fuel was left. There would have been some trace of it somewhere.

8. I feel like this whole thing is just David Copperfield attempting to stay relevant.

9. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

43 ships and 58 aircraft searching an area much larger than the continental US. Wow!

10. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

The seat cushion are made to be floating device in a water crash.

11. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Yup. Will any of you be surprised if we never find out what happens? I'm sure it could have broke up without leaving a detectable debris field, what if the pieces are tiny? That SilkAir flight that crashed into a river broke into very small chunks. We're talking about a featureless area with a search area bigger than the Unites States. I honestly think the first sign that it's definitely crashed will be when someone stumbles upon the wreckage in 6 months or so. Maybe it'll be a fisherman in India or a villager in MAdagascar.

12. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

They may not have been on a suicide mission, but perhaps a theft?

What's on the manifest in the cargo hold?

Shallow water makes for a comparatively easy salvage operation.

13. SupermotoFan

SupermotoFan deep Clothing Company

I believe that the intentional landing of a 777 in water might be a fairly risky proposition.
    The following is what might happen if things didn't go right:
    [​IMG]

The above might be a little overboard, but I have to believe that no one (even a pirate or terrorist) short of suicidal would try to put down in water.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  14. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

What if there was a shit ton of gold in the cargo hold of that particular flight?

A modern day Spanish Galleon commandeered by flying pirates. It would be a good Tom Clancy book anyway.

Something is not being told/considered at this point. Usually present conditions when things make no sense.

15. P 51 Jockey

P 51 Jockey Well-Known Member

Somebody stole it and flew it to a turd world. It's getting a new paint job.

16. B. Myers

B. Myers Well-Known Member

who has nuclear capability...but not the technology to deliver it via missile, or who has EMP pulse capability? I think it landed, passengers either crushing stones or executed. Plane will be "repurposed", no good will come of it either.

17. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

18. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

That will buff out I'm pretty sure.

19. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

Just needs duck tape.

20. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

The Nuclear club is a fairly small one.

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2013/03/world/nuclear-weapon-states/

US
    UK
    France
    Russia
    China
    India
    Pakistan
    N. Korea
    Israel

Pursuing it
    Iran

=====

Then you get into the question of missile technology,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_missiles_by_country

The only overlap with nuclear capability and limited missile capability I get is Iran.

=====

The range of the 777 is up to 17,372 km (~10,000miles).

I still wonder what was in the cargo.