1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactical Fast Draw

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

This is something I can get into!

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/tactical-fast-draw-could-bring-gunfights-bar-near-you

“You’ll get two points for a head shot and one point for anything to the (body) vest,” fast draw inventor and former bounty hunter Nephi Oliva said. “You can score a maximum of 12 points, but there’s no time limit, so it’s almost like a boxing match with bullets.”
    Oliva has been kicking around the idea of starting a fast draw league for years but had to wait until this month to get a firearms instruction certificate needed to handle “Simunition,” the plastic-tipped, paint-filled training ammunition to be used by fast draw’s gunslingers.
    Simunition rounds aren’t as loud as a standard 9 mm round — and can’t be fired out of a regular gun barrel — but they’re built around a regular 9 mm casing and travel at a velocity much higher than paintball guns."

2. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

Daddy like!

3. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

"You'll shoot your eye out"

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I didn't know an instructor could get simunitions I thought it was limited to LEO and .mil types. (Because steeltoe tried to buy some :D ).

This thread is dedicated to Papa. It's tacticool. :cool:

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

We can get sims, they're cost-prohibitive though. Rather run Airsofts, the welting is much less, and for the type of training you use handguns for (close range), there's no advantage (IMHO) to sims for tactical and proof-of-concept training purposes. :up:

6. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

This sounds perfect for out West, and if there's a place for it to be legal, its Vegas. I can see the perfect venue... Old West wood everywhere, wooden tables, maybe even Poker and Craps, in the middle is a big chicken wire (with bullet proof glass) arena, longer than it is wide. And there's a 2nd floor balcony overlooking the whole thing. And there's even a sports book in the corner to bet on who's going to win.

7. G 97

G 97 Garth

Meh. I'll stick to the real thing. Fast draw isn't required 99% of the time but a good steady shot is.

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I'm thinking of variations. Start em off seated with a hand of cards (like the rodeo). The guy's idea of them having a shield to carry is cool.
    A dodgeball style game would be neat too.

Ooh make it like American Gladiators except they get simunitions instead of pugil sticks! :up:

9. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

LOL, there was something similar to this at the old Alamo Village near Bracketville Texas a few years ago. (The Alamo Village is the movie set that John Wayne built to film the movie of the same name.) There was a saloon (and restaurant) in part of the village area where two or three times each day there would be a shoot out between actors.

If you didn't know about it being planned it was quite a surprise. You would be sitting at a table in the restaurant eating a burger or something and a single "cowboy" would come in and walk up to the bar and order a drink. He, of course, would be wearing a single action Army Colt slung fairly low. A few minutes later a couple more guys would come in dressed the same. An argument would start and pretty soon the fast drawing and shooting would begin. A couple of those guys were damn fast.

I'm happy to say that not one single customer died. :clap:

10. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Brings back old memories since I used to be involved in fast draw when I was in my twenties. I even still have my good old side arm and holster rig.

Hey! Maybe I'll get it out and practice a bit.

Is there a Doctor in the house. I have this hole in my foot. :eek:

11. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. desmo2

desmo2 Well-Known Member

Simunitions frickin' hurt.

Our SWAT team attended a hostage rescue course put on by a group of sharp FBI guys. I got picked to be a bad guy on one of the first scenarios. I was given a Sim pistol. I had no upper protection other than a helmet and a t-shirt. I was given instruction to present a threat to my team as they entered the room, give them a second to react, and then blaze away. My team was carrying Sim MP5's (longer barrels = higher velocity Sims).

I did as I was told and the point man for my team was switched on. As soon as I popped out with gun in hand, he double-tapped me in the chest. The t-shirt did NOTHING to soften the blows. When the rounds struck home I wanted to drop that damned Sim pistol to prevent more incoming rounds...but I couldn't. My hand locked around it. I think I squealed like a pig.

Even now, 8 years later, I have scars that appear to be two under-developed nipples, each next to their legitimate counterparts.

One of our subsequent bad guy role players took a Sim round to the second knuckle on one of his gun hand fingers. It was gory.

13. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

The instructor who let you go in dressed w/o longsleeves needs a kick in the junk.

I'm suprised he wasn't gloved up.

Sims are still one of the best training tools available, particularily for room clearing drills. Airsofts are for cats who like to pretend they could clear a room :D

14. desmo2

desmo2 Well-Known Member

Yah, that first time we were NOT properly protected for Sims.

Airsoft is good...fired thousands of Airsoft rounds in force-on-force training. BUT, Airsoft just doesn't get the stress up enough. Nothing gets the blood moving like a little fear of a pain penalty. Sims were the shiz for that.

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Sorry, I don't have a budget taken by force from the tax slaves to fund my firearm fun. :Poke: :Poke:

Besides, I have other weapons much better suited to clearing a room. :moon: :D

16. jimraynor21

jimraynor21 Well-Known Member

My wife's father is retired DEA/weapons instructor (think Deniro in Meet the Parents BAMF). He told me he used to do competitions and reloaded with wax to practice with.

This would be sweet as hell though if it catches on.

17. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

Trying not to go Dungeon here, but this is not a smart idea. I believe the Simunition rounds were intended to give as close to a real experience when training, while keeping the consequences of mistakes or mishaps to a minimum (less than death). To setup a league and use them to satisfy peoples morbid appetite for violence, and in a bar no less, is a bit sickening.

One step closer to Mad Max

Why not use paint balls? You'd have the same sporting and skill aspects

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  18. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

If you're training correctly you want to use the same tools you'd use in the field. Simunitions allow the use of firearms derived directly from their real counterparts; paintball guns can't do this.

19. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

Steel, you'll shoot your pee-pee off.

20. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Toe, when you pull you gat on a fool to make them break themselves, do you tilt your head sideways so you can still use the sights?