1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you GSXR guys doing??!

Discussion in 'General' started by Vstate60, Oct 22, 2013.

1. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

+1. mine is a 5mm allen and comes off rapidly. now, back near my knees where the stock upper fairing had a nipple that pushed into a rubber "bung" in the frame, i have zip ties. 07 gsxr 750

whats the pro tip for that location?

2. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

'11-'13 model :D

3. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

Two gixxers: one with the stock fairing stay, I use zip ties. The one with the aftermarket stay, I use dzus fasteners. It wasn't made for dzus fasteners, but you can make it work easily.

The dzus setup is faster, and yes it does look a little more "professional", but I have no issues with zip ties either.

In a crash, zipties will sheer off easily allowing the fairing to move/flex more, preventing some more major damage.

4. socalrider

1%-er apparently. :D

some of us are still running 6 year old models :crackup:

5. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

that's what i did.
    rivet the S-clip on the fairing stay & use a dzus for the upper

6. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

5mm allen. I used pins with a clip before but it rattled around too much and chipped the paint even with rubber washers for my liking

7. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

8. doubleapex

doubleapex Well-Known Member

Rubber well nuts from Home Depot. Similar to the ones on your windscreen but twice the size. You'll use a long bolt with some type of small PCV tubing used as a post and thread the well nut at the end, pop it in the hole in the frame and give it a couple of turns to swell up the well nut. There are tidier solutions, but this one worked in a pinch.

9. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

This is exactly what I'm running, works great.

10. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I got my machinist to make a replica of the Graves buttons with the R-clip, they are much much cheaper than the Graves ones.

11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I made my own on all my GSXR's... Wire springs on the underside of the ears.. Get 2 Clevis pins from Home Depot and wire cotter pins to ears as well.. Total cost about 4 bucks.. Use plastic washers if you have good paint up top..

12. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

Good thing I've seen is zip ties tend to fail in crashes, so they don't normally destroy mounting holes in bodywork. I can understand trying to go with a professional look but at the end of the day, I don't have 8 set of bodywork in my 18 wheeler. Come to think about it, I don't have a 18 wheeler.

13. LilRichard

LilRichard Well-Known Member

I use Optimal Spacers...

[​IMG]

Crashed them a few times, no issues.

14. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

you say this as if it's a bad thing :D

15. socalrider

kick ass, ill look into doing this! thanks.

so, you put the spacer in the bung in the frame, then drill/tap the plastic and put a bolt through the bodywork? that seems pretty easy as well, just wonder about plastic threads getting tore up by the aluminum bolt i would use. (unless im missing something completely?)

16. doubleapex

doubleapex Well-Known Member

Oh man, this is so much nicer than the well nuts.

17. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Yeah, some of you guys must not have crashed enough yet! Zip ties are the ticket, less broken upper fairing tabs.

18. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

I started using these as well.
    Before, I'd have to zip-tie the bodywork to the frame to keep it from splaying outward. These things hold just well enough, but can still pop off during a crash to help save bodywork.
    Never had an issue with the threads either.

19. Ryan636

Ryan636 Well-Known Member

:stupid:

20. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817