post-crash ptsd?

Discussion in 'General' started by pjzocc, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Jed

Jed mellifluous

On a sorta similar vein, when my nephew got a whirly bird ride from a helmet to helmet hit in football last year he spent 3 days in the ICU in Macon (fully recovered now but no contact sports EVER AGAIN). Part of his mandatory recovery was to rest his brain. No school work, no bright environments, no music, no excitement for about 4 weeks. The goal being not to stimulate anything more than necessary while things stabilized. Just anecdotal but I wonder if that's to minimize the PCS issues.

2. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

He definitely was in good hands, all the way around. I made sure there was a network in place in the event the worst case happened - which (other than me not being here) it kinda did. Certainly, his safety and security was first and foremost on my priority list once I got some of my faculties together again. Maybe that's what's creeping back to mind...

3. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

After talking with one of the docs at the local psych hospital (one of the little perks of working close to 4 hospitals is getting to know a lot of the docs on a first name basis), this is what she's leaning towards actually. I'm going to have more conversations with her this week and see if she can give me a better impression. An appointment with neuro is next on my list.

I wasn't thinking PCS as I haven't had the "typical" concussion symptoms (headache, nausea, dizziness/vertigo), and my focus has been on my shoulder rehab that I'm now thinking that I was dismissing the head injury. After talking with doc, I may need to have my coconut scanned as to rule out any underlying issues.

Yesterday's panic attack was the first I have experienced since the crash, and it really caught me off-guard. It sucked ass, to say the least.

For anyone who's wondering, my crash was T9 at Beaverun/PIRC at full speed (relative, I know).

4. Jed

Jed mellifluous

You don't need a neuro if you have a GP. Call your doc, tell em what happened, tell em how you feel, and tell em what you think it is. Dollars to donuts he/she will get you in and give you some anti anxiety meds to use as needed.

The neuro will do the same but cost more, take longer to see, and possibly want to run some expensive tests. The treatment the neuro will offer will be the same with a 'come back to see me if symptoms don't improve'. As long as you don't have any neuro symptoms beyond the anxiety you won't benefit from seeing one. And if you do have symptoms beyond the anxiety the first line treatment is rest and time.

Trust me. I've got connections to neuros. They use time and observation as the majority of treatments for concussions.

You're visions not off and you don't have blinding headaches, slurred speech, or impaired motor function do you? If any of those, then yep, see the neuro to get cranial pressure measured.

5. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Only on Friday and Saturday nights... :eek:

No, none of that. I have an appointment with my GP next week and will talk with him about it and go from there. I'm going to keep a log of the anxiety and see what kind of frequency and intensity I have, and be more aware of some of the subtle symptoms that may show up. I'm hoping yesterday was just anomaly and not a indicator of things to come.

6. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

If you are diagnosed w/ ptsd, you cannot buy a gun. They have already rounded up guns from veterans w/ ptsd.
    Food for thought....

Hope you get to feeling better.

7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Not necessarily true.
    Someone seeing a doctor/therapist for PTSD, which can be caused by a number of things, would not automatically be disqualified from buying a gun.
    Even a veteran with PTSD would not be disqualified, although here's one example where it would have been a good idea, evidently.

Victim Of Random NH Shooting Wants Answers

8. LukeLucky

LukeLucky Well-Known Member

When I was hit on the street and ended up in the ICU a few years ago I think I was on the pain meds in the hospital so long it blocked out any possible memory. I remember a car coming toward me on the fwy and that's it. I don't even remember talking to a ton of people or even being IN the ICU for 2 days... just cloudy memories in the regular room and then some random people visiting and stuff.

I am very thankful I can't remember much because none of the parts of the incident I can't remember would be pleasant to relive.

9. ProfessorX

ProfessorX Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I do know that my kidneys and liver are low functioning right now. Amazing what blood and urine tests can reveal.

Kurt

10. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

I may be wrong.
    I was going off of, seeing a vet at a gunshop turned down on a NIC's check because they had been released from the military due to ptsd.
    Also, wasn't the gov going after vets w/ ptsd and trying to confiscate, earlier this year? That's what I had read anyway, but who knows if what I read was right.
    At this point, I'll retract, and just say 'maybe'

11. That was a little early for my, day. We used Forestal film footage for training. ...Nimitz. Get some help.. revisit the crash site.