1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions: Aim Solo vs Athena MD60

Discussion in 'General' started by socal, Aug 19, 2013.

1. socal

socal Well-Known Member

I'm done with trying to make TrackMaster work- QStarz GPS receiver will be hitting the classifieds shortly. Can't bring myself to spending $600 on the XT Racing GPX Pro. So its between the similarly priced Aim Solo and the Athena MD60. They appear to have the same capabilities. I will use it for lap times as well as for comparing times at specific sections of the track. It will not be hard wired as I will be using the lap timer on different bikes. Any opinions or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

Fred from Yoyodyne posted up several weeks back and said they have a Starlane unit that's not listed on the website for under $300. Said it was just a lap timer and doesn't do what the other Starlane unit does but said it could be upgraded. It's in the most recent GPS lap timer thread.

3. socal

socal Well-Known Member

Saw that thread. Unless hardwired, Starlane uses an external battery case. No bueno

4. Rx3

Rx3 1%

I can't speak on the AIM, but for what you will pay for the Athena MD60, you might as well spend the ~$150 more for the XT which has way more features/functionality. You can get support for it when you need repairs or have questions. Good luck finding any kind of reliable support in the USA for the Athena.

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I don't know all the prices of the above units. I've seen used GPX pros in the 350-450 range. I think I sold mine for 400.

6. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

The XT GPX Pro is well worth the money, IMO.

7. socal

socal Well-Known Member

Athena MD60 and Aim Solo are sub $400...

8. I put a Solo on the Ape and like it so far. I've been using the XT Pro and like it also. I just like the Solo because it is smaller and the number are a lot bigger.

From what I gather, the Solo can do all the same stuff as the XT. You can wire it to the bike then link it with a camera and get heads up displays on the videos (RPM, speed, lap times, gear indicator, etc). But I don't care about all that shit, I just like the big numbers.

One cool feature is that is has hundreds of tracks per-loaded. Last weekend, I just turned it on (while still in my pit) and it said "Road Atlanta".

9. socal

socal Well-Known Member

Great info- thanks! Where on the bike did you mount the Solo?

10. I mounted it at the front of the gas tank. The back of the Solo has big magnetic inserts, and it has holes threaded in it, so it is easy to mount on a base.

[​IMG]

11. socal

socal Well-Known Member

...nice. Just ordered the Aim Solo. Thanks again Chris!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013