1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cool Cafe Racer?

Discussion in 'General' started by crikey, May 19, 2013.

1. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

If I had the time, know-how and money, that's what I'd get. There's some slick lookin' XS750 cafe racers out there...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  3. crikey

crikey Well-Known Member

LOL she does, but she is married and both of them have a due date with the first grandchildren 2 days apart. Yes everything is a race :up:

4. crikey

crikey Well-Known Member

She is bidding on a sweet Cafe Racer right now on Ebay, hopefully she wins it. She likes her toys, she is an Air Force pilot a year away from retirement and at one time used to own a Cesna 140 and a Pitts she flew acrobatics competitions in. She laughs about how at one stage she had a "multi-plane discount" on her insurance :clap:

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What's really funny to me is I remember drooling over a Tuono that I could swear had your name on it :D

6. crikey

crikey Well-Known Member

Lol yeah I miss creating bikes, my wife is buying a finished cafe racer so I will just have to build my own bike :)

7. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

You're a good friend. I bet he returns it some day.

8. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

On those yamaha triples, I see pod filters. They look great, but isn't it a pain in the ass to tune multiple carbs with a pod filter setup?

My understanding (which I totally admit is limited) is that the air box helps maintain constant air-pressure, regardless of the bike's speed. That's why factories use them...

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've done it on the street with no issues. I could see it being a pain in the ass for racing trying to get the utmost out of the bike.

10. Manxboy

Manxboy Well-Known Member

Here's a couple of photos of the Harley Cafe Racer I built about 3 years ago. If you could find a cheap donor bike you can build one of these without unloading to much money.
    I looked at a lot of magazines and photos to get ideas on what I wanted the bike to look like, found a bit I liked here, and a bit I liked there, then put it together the way I wanted it to look.
    This one is fun to ride since I pulled the motor apart and had Woody Kyle flow the heads and knocked it out to 1200cc.
    It's on Kawasaki wheels (18" rear and a 19" front) and a Yamaha XS front fork too.
    Pat Mooney.

Attached Files:

12. Nah ! Sounds like a very cool lady. Ride together out to the strip and throw some 2 seater Pitt's around or a T-6, ride home together and watch the sun go down, cook out....heaven !

13. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I can't get over this bike. If I see it on the street, I'm going to kick this schmuck off of it and steals it.

[​IMG]

14. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Nice! :up:

15. crikey

crikey Well-Known Member

16. ajk4

ajk4 Well-Known Member

I would lean towards a CB550. Great looks, relatively light (for the era), good power, good parts availability. Also, they are more plentiful than the alternatives from Suzuki/Yamaha/Kawasaki, so prices tend to be more reasonable.

17. chcknugget

chcknugget Well-Known Member

Manxboy that is a bad ass harley... I like how you cut out the tank to fit over the valve cover, I've seen some other harley cafe attempts but they usually don't fit the tank right.

18. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

This thread has revitalized my cafe bike lust. Looking CL over and saw this. What's the going rate on a running CB550? Assuming it runs & shifts and the title gets found, I was considering trading my '04 TTR125LE for it. What do you guys think?

19. Stormdragon

Stormdragon Apogee of the nadir baby!

Ummmmm, doode. A 16" Kawasaki rear rim mated to a, what? CB350 front rim? I'd offer the guy a 24 pack, and some plastic worms. :D

20. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

I did not notice the rear wheel being different nor did I realize it should have a front disc... good catch, thanks. :up: