1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

747 crash Afganistan

Discussion in 'General' started by cBJr, May 1, 2013.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Damn, that's the direct opposite of everything I was taught. But then again I never flew anything that big.

2. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

High-power swept-wing aircraft have to be flown completely different from small aircraft, especially around the limits. This is why the MU-2 had such a horrible safety rating, it has to be flown like a large plane but low-time pilots from small aircraft were jumping in it and crashing it.

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Thanks. I never knew why the MU-2 was such a killer.

4. 675AV8R

You've never done power-on stalls in a Cessna? You feel the burble, relax back pressure and decrease power as the nose drops, airspeed builds back up, add power and back pressure and maintain Vy until climb resumes.

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Nah, never in a Cessna.

6. 675AV8R

It's a very complex airplane with a high wing loading. People wanted to fly it like a Cessna or a Kingair and you simply can't.

7. 675AV8R

Well, any small plane :D

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Oh, I thought you meant there was something specific about Cessnas. Most of my flight time is on Pipers.

Anyway, trying to think about it, I don't remember ever being asked to do a power-on stall during a BFR. So the last one I did must have been in 1992. :eek:

9. 675AV8R

I didn't do one either for mine. Definitely remember doing them in training though. It's pretty surprising the deck angle you'll get out of even a typical single.

10. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Don't forget the Aerostar and even the Cirrus. High wing loading birds.

11. 675AV8R

Definitely. That was just the first one that came to mind because it was so bad for a while.

12. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

The 744 and the 748 procedure for Nose High Upset recovery is to reduce thrust and even roll if you have to get the nose down.

13. Aaron71

Aaron71 BEEMER

We are still in shock over the accident that happened on Monday... Majority of the Base witnessed it...truly unreal!!

RIP :(

14. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

I agree completely.

You get a big load shift AFT, and things get very ugly very quickly.

As an example....

An aircraft with a CG too far forward may not fly well
    An aircraft with a CG too far aft may not fly twice !!!

15. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

I once set the CG 1 inch forward on a Pitts Special RC plane by mistake.
    Kit build time: 23 hours
    Time to return aircraft to kit form: about 40 seconds.

16. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Dayum....RIP.

Who owned the plane?....a commercial frieght company?

This place is amazing....on-site reporting of a crash like that half a world away.

17. 675AV8R

Yes it was contract, National Air Cargo or something like that.

18. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

It must have been an almost ready to fly kit with that short of a build time.

19. speedracer170

speedracer170 Well-Known Member

RIP

Hit's close to home, had a bunch of friends who arrived their less than 72 hrs ago.