1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michelin Power Cup vs. Dunlop D212/211 GP Pro ??

Discussion in 'Tech' started by almano, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Vstate60

Vstate60 Jaspon&Armas, PA

Three words popped in my mind when I read the title of this thread:

Melka. Spec. Dunlop.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Melka really hates them dunlops...hehe. :)

3. Vstate60

I love it. I'm not fast enough to thank him for the help he's provided me. It'd almost be an insult at this point. But, the day I am, I will do so for his Dunlop bashing and whatnot.

4. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

I respect that about Mike, he is a no shit kind of guy and tells it like it is.

Hard to find that kind of honesty these days and the top quality work and after the sale support he is known for.

5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

the UK is clearly a great tire.. but the spec tire ? not so much.. not so sure what the issue is, it's not a secret!
    I do NOT "hate" any tire, in fact Paul Dunlop, Steve B. and the rest of the dunlop gang are cool dudes ! As most of us KNOW, the UK tire is very good. What i am a bit annoyed with (but respectful of from a business standpoint), is the masterful marketing that dunlop did and is benefiting from, by having secured the AMA spec tire deal. I have literally heard riders with little to zero track experience, stated "i want the tire that is used in the AMA".. Then there are the countless number of riders with ama aspirations that (as we have seen posted already in this thread) assume they MUST use the spec tire if there is even a 1% chance they may do an ama event in the near or distant future.. it's business, but many of these riders are just uneducated and do not realize that they would go faster and keep a higher confidence level if they used ANY other tire when they can.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  6. MELK-MAN

please.. in no particular order.. 1-don't use spec dunlops, 2- don't use a photographers "PROOF" as an avatar. ;)

for sure. Mike is the real deal. Laid back, take it or leave it.. He would be pleased to get a text that says "thanks" too by the way :)

werd .. :)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  7. Vstate60

I've explained this to you, I bought the damn CD and that was the only picture involving a bike I had access to on my phone when I created the account. 2nd strike on ragging me about it, the third just may make me xfer Superbikepix folder onto my iPhone.

And even though you're now an a-hole for calling me out and ragging on people's tires, I'll correct you here: I was talking about you...not TMan.

8. ronaldo9

ronaldo9 Well-Known Member

Appreciate your opinion Melka and feedback. I may purchase an NTEC next round and compare the performance differences.

9. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

^While most of us know that Ntec means UK the American GPA also says Ntec on it. Ask for the UK tires if you want the best.

10. MELK-MAN

sorry, i didn't have my handy diary of forum folks that i have already emailed about snagging proofs for use on a public forum. So hear this.
    USE .......... A .................DIFFERENT .............. AVATAR.
    i don't give a shit what the excuse is, you are gonna try to tell me you don't have a single OTHER photo you can use ? oh wait.. it's some Iphone ap issue.. LOL . What a joke.
    Why does it have to be a bike. Where is the rule that says a bike forum avatar has to have a bike in it ? use a different avatar. If your phone has a problem, there are these things we used before iphones.. they are called laptop computers ? borrow someones. Till then, you will look like a photo robbing jerk to everyone. I'm TRYING to do you a favor. Ya know when someone walks out of a bathroom with TP stuck to their shoe ? that's you..
    I have a number of friends that are track photographers, so you are gonna continue to get shit from me and others so other new users don't see your "PROOF" across the avatar and think it's cool. comprende ?

but on a lighter note, just a tip. When someone that seems to have a "REASONABLE" reputation in club racing and has been posting a long time on this and other racing forums offers some advice.. it isn't a horrible idea to at least consider said advice. Especially, as in this case, they are attempting to steer other riders to ANY other product (not just "brand X" that they personally use), including another product by the SAME company that the product they are warning you about is made.. Or don't.

11. MELK-MAN

And dare I quote Mike "T-man" Fitzgerald one more time..
    he will tell you the Michelin cup may be the best tire in the paddock, with the front being the best. HIS words.

Sadly the uk tire sets you back $550+ per set ! The pirelli or michelin cups, not so much. AT LEAST you are wise enough to consider an alternative to the US spec tire ! good on ya grasshopper. :bow:

12. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Interesting that the Power Cup would be considered better than the Michelin Power Slick or was he only talking about DOT tires and you or he just didn't indicate that?

No malice intended with this question. I ran Power Cups last year and loved them, but I am trying the Power Slick this year.

13. MELK-MAN

I like the DOT cups better than the cup slicks for most tracks. I just didn't find the extra cost worth the small benefit, and at times i really like the dot cup better period. I wish there were more fast riders to share the info but it's taking awhile to get much feedback.
    And Mike T was referring to the dot's.. sorry for not clarifying.

and as far as if it is or isn't the best tire, all i know is last year and this year i am able to race with some guys that the year before, there was no chance of.. And i'm a nobody, never-was. Not even a "has been".. Imagine if Rob Jensen was to UN-retire and race on em. It would be a bloodbath at some events if you ask me. That said, most really fast guys are doing some AMA events. So naturally (it seems to me) they feel the need to run dunlops, even if they use the UK tire at some club events. And, i can't blame the really fast guys that might clean up contingency wise (if they can finish top 3, and there are 8 riders on the grid). Thing is, if you shell out upwards of $550 for a set of tires, you better finish top 3 and get some contingency ;)

14. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid Well-Known Member

I think everybody "except me" should switch to the AMA spec tire!

:crackup:

15. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid Well-Known Member

And if your a nobody.... I have no Chance at ever being a half of a nobody!:eek:

16. MELK-MAN

let us never-was, ain't nobodys UNITE ! :rock: and no discriminating against even half-nobodys. :)

17. Vstate60

Iphone app issue? Who said that? You think it's that unbelievable that I originally made my account on my phone for the WERA boards and that was the only bike-related picture I had on the phone? It's a motorcycle racing forum, not a Nickelback fanboy page (maybe you got them mixed up). I appreciate your sincere help here but since you are the only person with enough time, effort, and energy to spare towards ragging me and my avatar, I'll assume you're basically alone in caring that I used a proof shot for my 3x3 pixel avatar on a MOTORCYCLE RACING FORUM. If I cared enough about your thoughts on stealing photographs I'd make a file named Melka in my imageshack and post every one I've ever bought from the JGP folks. I appreciate what they do and that's why I've paid them for their efforts, sir. I think it's funny that you assume someone who competes in this sport has the money for it, but can't buy a $45 CD of pictures.

I changed it before seeing this latest post, and am honestly contemplating putting the old one back up just for the chuckles. Thanks for the help relating to motorcycles and getting around the track faster...while 99% of that from you has been on what brand to run, specifically the ones you're sponsored by, it has been helpful.

I got the TP off my shoe....thanks.

18. MELK-MAN

whatever dude..
    i think you should work really hard to prove me wrong and race on the AMA spec tire.

and while you do that, I will wait for a single noteworthy suspension tuner (or top expert rider for that matter) to state/post that the AMA spec dunlop is as good as the UK dunlop, and as good or better than the best DOT rubber Pirelli and Michelin have to offer...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  19. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

Wachoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?
    :p

20. MELK-MAN

Cliffs notes.. listen to what i have to say Bob :) It's usually the truth and good advice.