1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PRK Surgery updates--50Joe, Dougk, Todd Clark?

Discussion in 'General' started by jrsamples, Feb 12, 2013.

1. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

see, thats what happens when you do something youre not used to doing. ;)

2. dale-505

dale-505 Ride Safe!

I did PRK in 2009 after having several contacts coming out while racing.

I chose PRK over Lasik due to sports and not wanting to worry about my flap coming loose if I got punched in the face. :P

As others have posted, the recovery time is longer (took me a couple of weeks to get back normal functionality), but well worth ditching contacts for good. 20/15 last checkup in 2011.

3. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

I just had PRK done Nov 26th. I was out for 4 days (only because the military made me take those days. Never had any pain, but I took a steady flow of Ibuprofen during those days. I never had to dip into the good stuff. The worst I had was halos around headlights when I was driving. No dry eyes. I can see 20/20 now and it was a great decision.....I love not having to wear glasses!

I go in for my 3 month follow up the first week of March.

Good luck.

4. jd96

jd96 Well-Known Member

it's scary to hear the stories about the fuck ups from the less experienced surgeons man. Everything doesn't always go to plan. I think racers know this better than most!

all I can say is do your home work before you let someone carve up your eye. Google the horror stories and decide if the risk is worth it, there are thousands of them.

I sure as hell wouldn't do it, but I havent suffered with poor vision my whole life. I'm looking at it from the other side of the fence.

5. migkilr

migkilr Tool

I just had PRK done 9 days ago. I was sick of racing bikes and flying fighter jets with contacts that were constantly drying out and causing me all kinds of issues. The Air Force gave me an option of LASIK or PRK and I chose PRK because I don't want that corneal flap coming loose, yuk.
    I thought it was going to be way worse from reading accounts of it online, but I am absolutely amazed at how easy it was. Sure, the 3 days after the surgery sucked, but such a small price to pay for good eyesight. I was ok to drive on day 5. Right now I'm at least 20/20 and feel great. I would recommend doing a lot of research and ponying up the cash for a good doctor.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  6. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

:up:

Glad to hear it. I had LASIK and it has worked great for me (Dr. Karl Stonecipher). The difference is amazing. WERA 904 helped me out a lot. The first surgeon that I went to gave me bad advice.

7. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Lasik 5 years ago. I could have driven home after the procedure, was riding the next day and am 20/15 in 1 eye and 20/20 in another. I went to the eye doc that eye docs go to. 3k an eye and the best money I have ever spent. I need readers up close now but they told me this would happen. Go for it.