People who just bought AR lower receivers....

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by SpeedyE, Jan 16, 2013.

1. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

The way they did it, was to say the "receiver" did not have the evil features that constituted an assault weapon.....thus it was not an AW and could not be grandfathered.
    And since they were now banned, the receiver could not be built into a assault weapon.

The 94 ban, as you know, had loop-holes...thus AW's continued to be made w/out the features.
    But again, as you know, there will be no loopholes this time.

imho, they are going to get these guns (attempt confiscation), whether today, tomorrow, in a year, or 5.....they are going to get them (or physically try). And this charade ain't about guns.
    I am actually glad the 2nd amend is on the table, win or lose....because it is forcing america to look at what is and has been going on, in regard to us slowly losing our rights, and our freedoms. States are actively defying the President's wishes by pushing legislation threatening to arrest Fed agents?!?!? This is gonna get good..... :Pop:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  2. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I think you're right. Most people, even those within the Democratic leadership, admit that the items being pushed by Obama and Biden would have done nothing to stop what happened in Conn. so this whole thing is a simple Second Amendment power grab. What I see as a major problem within the population is that it's obvious to most that it's nothing more than that and those "most" people are getting tired of it.

There are a hell of a lot of people that are raising hell over how Obama has dragged all the kids up onto the podium for this "signing occasion". He is riding this emotional event for all it's worth. His media is also continuing to seek out all those "survivors of mass shootings" to plaster them all over the news so that the viewing public will maybe show some emotional empathy and, hopefully, let that emotion rule the day and join him in his fight against the Second Amendment.

This whole issue is causing more and more division within the population and I'm not sure where it's going to go. I actually think that Obama is enjoying the hell out of it.

3. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

That's exactly what he wants, and exactly why we can't lose the fight to keep our only source of 'insurance'.
    Everyone who thinks we should turn them in.... go watch "the dreams of my REAL father". Take it FWIW (lot of it could be BS), but there are enuff realities/facts in there to give me the willys :Poke:

4. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Ya, i know. I was looking and even the high end stuff is sold out. I was just curious if the Feds had tried eliminating or restricting the 80% parts. I can not even imagine how much of the finished 80% stuff there is out there that no one knows about. Just where I work alone I know of at least a dozen guys that have been building and none of them stopped at 1.

5. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I still do not understand (and I do not want to blame English as a Second Language).

My apologies for giving the appearance of obtuseness on the matter.

But if I have an AR lower register as a rifle what mechanism is there exactly available to prevent me from building a rifle in any way, in any configuration within the possibilities of the platform that is in keeping with the law.

And example. I can register an AR lower receiver as either a rifle or pistol. The current SBR rules makes it clear and punishable to possess part to construct. So, it behooves anyone with an AR lower receiver registered as a rifle to have a short barrel in possession even if an AR lower receiver is in hand and registered as a pistol but not built. I think it would be best not to explain that the short barrel is for the completion of the AR pistol.

6. Redbird

Redbird Well-Known Member

A stripped lower can be registered as a rifle, pistol, or AOW (any other weapon). Registering it as a rifle and then throwing a shorter barrel on it is a big no-no- "once a rifle, always a rifle". A shorter barrel just gets you an SBR and all the regulation that goes with it, even if you take the stock off.

On the other hand, you can put as long a barrel as you like on a pistol ;)

7. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I think I left a "not" in my post. Do not have a short barrel in the vicinity of an AR 15 lower registered as a rifle unless the proper certification/paperwork is on hand.

I don't own any weapons at the moment and I thought I wanted an SBR but after further evaluation I decided not too. The way I look at is, I want to exercise a right not a privilege. :D

From what I read, with the SBR (AOW) a short barrel laying around can be very troublesome. The law about ability to construct.

However, a short barrel can be placed on an AR lower registered as a pistol. The point I was trying to make is that is not to have a short barrel laying around any where if one also possesses an AR lower registered as a rifle.

I am still on the fence about a purchase. I may go AR pistol. I really wanted a Roni SBR but I have given up on the SBR idea. Generally, I was favoring the idea of just one weapon that I can use for two purposes. The Roni is a straight drop-in of a handgun without modification to the actual pistol.

8. Redbird

Redbird Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm familiar with the "intent to construct" laws. You definitely have to be careful what parts you have laying around. I have an 9mm AR pistol, which means it's a bad idea to have an extra stock/buffer tube assembly here, even if it was simply removed from a different gun for an upgrade. With those parts here I'd be 10-15 minutes from an SBR, which is all but illegal in this state, never mind the BATF.

If you do go pistol, I'd suggest looking into a caliber other than 5.56/.223.

That round's performance get worse and worse as the barrel gets shorter.

9. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Thanks for the advice. I still favor the 5.56. My purchase would be close in defense (home). I am not fond of handguns or shotguns. I fell in love with the AR, dating back to my time in the service.

I was hoping to address any shortcoming with respect to shortened barrel via a muzzle break.

Could you expand on your criticism?

I mentioned the Roni conversion for handgun because I would have considered it as an option to an AR Pistol but I am done with mental masturbation with respect to an SBR.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  10. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

And it gets LOUDER AND LOUDER.:crackup:A 7" barrelled AR pistol gives my .300winmag serious "bark" competition. I hated shooting one. PITA to shoot one handed.

And for home defense they suck. Huge ass fireball. A 18" pistol grip 12ga is best for home defense. Crooks with ANY sense left will run like hell when they hear the rack of it.

11. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Why would they hear that? Why would you NOT already have the gun loaded and ready for action? If someone has broken INTO my house and I'm there, they will not leave the house alive if I have anything to do with it. I will not be holding anyone until the police arrive. Keep the shotgun ready at all times and don't try to scare them off. The next time they come back, they may actually kill YOU!

12. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Not sure about that. What would be scarier to a meth head in your family room, the bark and fireball fom an AR or the bark of the shortest legal shotgun?

I'm talking warning shot, btw. (Isn't there a virtual flame thrower round available for 12 gauges?)

13. Shyster d'Oil

That's stupid, from both a legal and practical standpoint. Do you know anybody who has killed an intruder in their home?

Of course if you are single, have a legal slush fund, have spare cash for the cleanup of blood and guts, and mad renovation skills to repair bullet/blast damage and a couple weeks unused vacation my response might be different.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  14. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Warning shot? Please tell me you are joking.

15. Shyster d'Oil

See my last post. I know you are just confused, not joking.

16. Shyster d'Oil

PS. It's not always practical to fire a warning shot, but if you can you should.

17. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

I had hit the quote button before I saw your other reply posted.

18. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Yes. My father-in-law has, and he is never without a gun in his possession because of it. It was either him or the crackhead. Crackhead lost.

19. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

And you passed the bar??? :crackup:

20. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Stupid?????????????? I don't think so Tim! Have you never heard of the Castle Doctrine? Read up a bit and study what your rights are as a homeowner in your own state. I'll deal with the mess and any damage done to the house as a result of that action. What WILL not happen, is that he/she/it/whatever, will walk/run out of my house if they have broken in and I'm at home. They will be shot, as I neither know or care what there intentions are, after breaking into my home illegally! If they are willing to take a chance on the consequences of breaking into someone's home, then they will be receiving the outcome of such actions. It's actually pretty simple and straight-forward. The law in the state of TN allows you to use deadly force in your home.