1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Easy fix for my Radiator?

Discussion in 'General' started by grantcarruthers, Dec 3, 2012.

1. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

Don't go blaming IL for his FL ways... :tut:

:D

2. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

We fixed a cracked block for our midget with JB weld and fiberglass cloth once. Held for 2 race seasons before we made the switch to a different brand of engine.

3. puckwhore

puckwhore Well-Known Member

Cut out fins around hole. Use pliers to pinch closed. Seal with a drop of jb weld.

4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

yup.. that's how we roll! :beer:

5. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

I have a radiator that has been JB welded since 06 on a small pin hole

6. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

The old timers tell me some ground pepper works!

7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That will work as a temporary fix. I had a mechanic teach me that. I thought he was pulling my leg when he first said to do it.

8. MELK-MAN

seriously guys.. pepper?? LOL. And I'M the one from Illinois :) I would use JBweld all day long and twice on Sunday before pouring pepper in my radiator and HOPING the water/coolant/Engine Ice that will likely spew forth again wouldn't put myself or someone else on the pavement.. :) just sayin. No toolbox/parts bin should be without tubes of JBweld.
    pepper. wives tale i tell you..

9. MELK-MAN

i actually leave the fins in place, gives more surface for the JBweld that ya push in to grab hold of.

10. Chip

Chip Registered

Don't put shit in your radiator....it does horrible stuff to the inside of your motor. Especially around the combustion chamber when exposed to heat.....way bad...

11. mark49

mark49 Pirelli Trackside

Have had several GP rads done by Mylers. They do great work!

12. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

damn... you're one of us? well... I guess I will have to claim you then. :crackup:

13. MELK-MAN

McClean County.. little town called LeRoy :) born/raised. Moved to FL when i was 20. Graduating HS class had 55 people or thereabouts. Loved that place, wouldn't have wanted a childhood anywhere else. May move back someday, but i just love the fact i can ride all year round down here.

14. MELK-MAN

this ^ .
    i didn't know it, but know now :)

15. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

Hahaha! I didn't say I would recommend it ;)! I've just heard that from a few old timers that have been around the bikes and cars as a temp fix to finish where or what you are doing.

I'd reccomend the JB weld personally...lol!

16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I've heard of that. I grew up in Washington, Il. Not sure I could handle the weather any longer. The weather is the main reason I originally moved to Texas when I was 20.

17. grantcarruthers

grantcarruthers Well-Known Member

Last question, can I just get a quality Antifreeze at Autozone or do I HAVE to go get some Kawi specific at the dealer?

Thanks again for the opinions and help

Grant

18. MELK-MAN

i don't think so, and would be fine for street, but it won't be safe for use on a race course.. nor would it be legal with some race orgs. and track day orgs.
    check your rule book or "search" but standard anti-freeze is a no-no for tracks.

same.. i couldn't live there year round anymore, but i sure miss the "small town" atmosphere sometimes.