1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AT 2011 Thru Hike

Discussion in 'General' started by NCcummins, Mar 1, 2011.

1. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

That is truely amazing to do that! :clap: Obviously she's fit as a fiddle!

Her daily schedule: On the trail at 5am and off at 9:30pm. Eat, sleep, repeat. WOW!!! :bow:

2. NCcummins

NCcummins NADEAU

I'm glad you got to read it! Thank you for following me.

Riddle Answers:
    (the one about the man in a bar for a cup of water) - He had the hiccups
    (the one with the guy in a concrete box) - He broke the 2x4 in half; 2 halves make a whole.

Anytime man! Check back in next summer as I'll be going from Va - (where ever it takes me) and hopefully complete a thru hike when I'm done with school.

That's awesome. Great to hear that. Thank you!

46 miles is amazing length in one day. My longest day was 34 miles.

3. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

34 miles is still pretty amazing being unsupported and carrying all your stuff. What she did is a bit different being supported but still quite an accomplishment. I hope to one day have the time off to even consider it, always wanted to.

4. NCcummins

NCcummins NADEAU

A mile, week, month, or a thru hike of the AT is a great experiance. Even when I go out for a day hike, I feel as I'm back on the trail. My first day on the trail, a man who had thru hiked in 2010 and was heading to Hot Springs from Springer quoted "the trail is like hard drugs, you're always wanting more." That is is. I miss it daily. I hope you get the chance to hit the trail.

5. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

What is your favorite area/section to date? My GF and I have hiked (just messing around day stuff) the AT from Wayah Bald to NOC and have done some of the Bartram Trail. How does that rate with what you experienced (just curious)?

6. NCcummins

NCcummins NADEAU

One of my favorite sections is from Max Patch to Erwin, TN. You get Max Patch, Hot Springs, a very nice 1.5 mile exposed ridge line, and of course, Big Bald. I enjoy almost all parts of the trail from Fontana to Roanoke! The Art Lobe also has some okay views if you get the right day out there.

7. NCcummins

NCcummins NADEAU

After much preparation and many sleepless nights, my girlfriend and I have decided we are going to leave March 1st of this year for a NoBo thru hike of the AT. She will be graduating in December and I will have a semester left when I return. We both decided this would be a great accomplishment before we tie the knot. We almost have 100% of both our gear together. Laura's hike will be a much greater expense than mine as she is allergic to soy, gluten, and dairy products. She has spent the last few months putting together a list of item she can eat and mail to herself on the trail. This is a goal I need to accomplish, and I couldn't find a better hiking partner. We currently have a few donation boxes out at our friends shops around Asheville hoping that will add some to our funds for the hike. Every penny adds up, so we are thankful for that! I will be using the same trail journal I used on the previous hike. Laura will be creating her own. The journals should be interesting on a day to day basis. We've been doing some over night hikes on the Art Lobe. Every asks how much we've been practicing, and I simply respond "you cannot practice for a six month, 2,181 mile hike."

Now, if only I can get through the next four months!

8. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Awesome! I'm looking forward to following along again. :beer:

9. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

:stupid::clap:

10. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Yep, I'll follow along again as well! :up:

And, Congrats on your engagement! :up:

11. NCcummins

NCcummins NADEAU

I greatly appreciate it!

:beer:

Thank you VERY much! We actually have no yet got engaged. She's been waiting on it for a while now though. It will be happening along the trail, she just doesn't know where yet! :)

12. NCcummins

NCcummins NADEAU

I'm not very good with Facebook, but if any of you have one, Laura and I have decided to keep up with one while we hike along with our trial journals. You can find it here:

2013 Appalachian Trail Thru Hike:

http://www.facebook.com/2013AppalachianTrailThruHike

13. NCcummins

NCcummins NADEAU

Thanks to everyone who has checked out the Facebook page!

14. NCcummins

NCcummins NADEAU

I spent some time last night getting my trail journal set up for the 2013 hike. I was reading through all seven pages of my guest book signatures. That was not an easy thing to do. As I read through them, it brought back many memories and reminded me of all the support that followed my last hike. I thank those of you who plan to follow Laura and I on our upcoming bike. I also want to say a huge thank you to everyone who followed and supported my last hike. It means a lot to have that support behind you and it was great reading and re-reading my guest book signatures last night. I sincerely thank you guys!

15. povol

povol Well-Known Member

Dont you just love hiking. My wife and i just spent 11 days hiking the Kenai Peninsula. Nothing like your planning, we just did a 11 different day hikes in different parts of the peninsula. If you have never been, its a must do before you die. I grew up in the mountains, but this place takes your breath away.

16. NCcummins

NCcummins NADEAU

That sounds awesome! I'm very jealous. I know a few people who have done some hiking there as well. I definitely hope to go at some point later in life! Post up some pictures when you get the chance. I love to see them.