Defriending on Facebook due to opposing political views

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by todzuki, Oct 12, 2012.

1. todzuki

todzuki got OBS?

How ridiculous, right? I will admit that I use FB a lot. It really is a great way to stay in touch with folks and I hate the phone so it suits me.

Today, yet another friend of mine posted (in all caps, of course) that "any mutherfucker out there stupid enough to vote for Obama needs to defriend me right now, etc"

So i did. I guess if I got all my news from the super ultra biased sources like MSNBC or Foxnews, I would be foaming at the mouth in anger too. I have 3 or 4 of my buddies on "ignore unless important" until the election is over and it can't happen soon enough.

2. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

I had a old high school buddy de-friend me because I differed on his politics view...
    I still get a chuckle out of it... :rolleyes:

3. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I defriend anyone that bores me. I'm there for entertainment.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Getting all crazy political is a great way of shaking off those "friends" you added because you knew them 10 years ago and you'd feel bad for not adding 'em after they sent you a request.

5. triplestack3

triplestack3 Early Retirement

it's pretty easy to hide updates and feeds from people. have only de-friended maybe 2 or 3 people on FB, mainly because we werent friends anymore

6. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

Yeah... I agree that letting facebook define who your friends are by their political views is kinda dumb... I mean, I already know with my friendss, for the most part, who I agree with and disagree with politically.

Politics is not why I am friends with them. That is like a Christian saying I'm not going to be friends with you because your Atheist, buddhist, Muslim, or whatever...

7. cgordon3

Yeah... me and LethalRog just don't get along anymore....:D

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Only a very few of my FB friends are actually friends. The rest of them are FB friends, a dime per gross.

9. G 97

G 97 Garth

I agree with your "friend". :D

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I pull anyone who posts too much political stuff from my news feed. Doesn't matter which side or if I agree (don't even read the posts).

11. cgordon3

:stupid:

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Anyone who takes that place too serious is crazy. It's only entertainment and about as serious as a clown with a stack of pies at the other end of a football field from you.

I use it as the slum extension of the BBS and little more.

13. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

I had to remove Skip from my newsfeed. We see things the same politically but after about 100 emotionally charged messages I just could not take it anymore. I want to see lolcats and naked women, not politics.

14. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

I would defriend any friends on FB...

It simplifies things greatly. :D

15. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

It seems lots of people go nuts as we near elections.

Way too many just cannot contain themselves and have to make sure everyone knows their opinion on virtually everything.

FB seems to be the natural platform to make sure all your friends and family know exactly how you feel.

I can pretty easily take a month to 6 weeks off FB and not expect to miss too much. I only use it to share positive stories about what's going on in my life. Save the negative stuff for the bar. At least that's my rule.

16. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I absolutely demand that Britt continues to post his stream of consciousness threads during Presidential debates. Just when I think his anger has peaked too soon he takes it to a level I wasn't aware of. Fan-friggin-tastik!!!! :beer:

If you're just bringing an opinion to Facebook then save it. Nobody cares. Even the people that agree with you.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  17. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

MadBrad defriended me, but that was during the previous election cycle, not the current one.

I typically only make political comments on FB if I know that it will really PO somebody. :D

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

That is a legitimate strategy.

19. MGarrett50

MGarrett50 Ready. Set. Go.

Just curious, how did you know when you were stupid enough ?? Was there a test ?? An idiot light ?? Your friends started wearing that t-shirt ??

:D

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Joe, I've renewed my fear of Britt. I watched the Sam Elliot character from When We were Soliders again and it's Britt with short hair and clean shaven. :D