1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any jet skiers? Who wants to go to the Bahamas?

Discussion in 'General' started by 675AV8R, Aug 2, 2012.

1. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

We're going to talk about this over some drinks while we're down there :D

:crackup: Yeah, I have no doubt about that either :eek:

If it wasn't stupid/risky it just wouldn't be any fun :D

2. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

it is a pretty common run on a boat so even if we did have a problem I am not overly concerned about not getting help

that or we get captured by pirates or eaten by a shark

:)

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Actually I think it is totally cool what you guys are going to do.

We were on Hilton Head last week. My sons girlfriends aunt lives there and her boyfriend has a sailboat. She arranged for us to go out Thursday and I'm thinking the guy has some little O'Day sailer. Well, we get there and find out he has a 50 footer. We went out all day and had the time of our lives.

But I was thinking about this thread because I ask him if he had ever done any real distance on the boat and he said the only thing holding him back from doing it was having a crew he could trust. Well, he liked the fact that I am an ex-Coastie small boat captain so we have tentative plans in February for him, my son and I to sail from Hilton Head to the Bahamas and back, of course spending about 5 days tooling around the Bahamas.

All very tentative but if it works out it should be the trip of our lives.

Here's a pic of my wife sailing the boat. She had it over on pretty much full heel and we were making right at 7+ knots.

[​IMG]

4. BC

BC Well-Known Member

If you break down in the stream you'll be in jax by nightfall.

5. dale-505

dale-505 Ride Safe!

:D

6. SloMo510

SloMo510 Still Slow

Tristan, sounds like an awesome trip man! If it weren't for tuition i'd be all over this but its not in the cards right now... will defiantly be looking for the report when you get back!!!

7. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

My friend and I took off blindly, just with a compass (hand held) to Bimini on a 17 footer, Boston Whaler (IIRC). The seas were ridiculous on the the way to Bimini. We did two nose dives. Not really what you want to experience at sea. We almost missed the Island too, if not for catching a glimpse in the horizon. The current was strong, and almost threw of my calculations.

I don't think I have that kind of stupid let in me.

On the return trip, the sea was glass, the the way. Incredible. We took pictures of Dolphins from atop the boat that gave the impression that the camera was underwater.

It was also nice on the return trip, not to be concerned with land point. :D

8. 675AV8R

No worries man, we've already had a LOT of interest in a trip next year. Though I think most of that is dependent on a good report from this one :crackup:

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I didn't think Cubans were allowed to use that nice a level of equipment when crossing open water :D

10. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

I dont see how the report could be bad

(famous last words)

;)

11. 675AV8R

I've also been told that at least one non-life threatening "holy shit!" story is expected as well :eek:

:crackup:

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

last summer my mom rented a house on Singer Island. Cool place and the rental was all inclusive of the amenities... including a small 25' center console boat with an outboard. Cruised around Peanut Island intracoastal area then suggested we go out and ride along the shoreline. After the first 6' drop... my mom was freaking about breaking her replacement hips. We had a handful more and didnt even get more than 50yds past the jettis. :D

13. 675AV8R

Still in? :Poke:

14. dale-505

dale-505 Ride Safe!

15. 675AV8R

I've been looking at them too. The Navionics one seems to be one of the best. Aaron was able to get GPS-X on his phone, mine doesn't support it.

16. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

That area is really nice. I was working on a project making landfall in the area. We were shooting for an Horizontal Directional Drilling connection point on Peanut Island. The project was killed off in the Bahamas, starting point of the pipeline.

Did you get a look at the floating island just East of Peanut Island?

The transition from the intracoastal to open seas is very tough. When we were little (and very poor), some of the best entertainment was watching boats on government cut (South Beach). That was fun. Still is. :D

17. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Well, the first time, it was just a wet finger guiding the way!

18. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

I have the Navionics Great Lakes on my iPhone, and my father has it on his iPad. Both are back ups along with a handheld GPS to the main chartplotter on the boat. It's nice since they are loaded on the device and doesn't require a data connection. I haven't tested them while being far off shore where there is no cell signal, I'm not sure if the GPS is more accurate with cell service or not. Close to shore (within 20 miles) it seemed to work well when I compared it to the chartplotter on the boat. I wouldn't use it as my main navigational tool, but as a back up its a nice thing to have.

19. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Valentino sunk his boat in the Atlantic?! You get an autograph?

Sounds like an awesome adventure. Wish I could come!

20. 675AV8R

Alright boys, major weather shouldn't be a problem at the end of this week. Wednesday is going to be an interesting drive for Aaron and I though :crackup: Dale and Brandon, y'all still good?