1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heart monitors

Discussion in 'General' started by RM Racing, Aug 13, 2012.

1. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

What are you runners/cyclist using for heart monitors? I have a Polar unit, but I find it to be unreliable unless it is soaking wet. I had an all plastic unit without a replaceable battery that was actually quite good, but I upgraded about a year ago to a newer cloth strap with a snap-in sending unit, and ever since, I've found it to be a pain in the ass, not reliable, and basically useless. I don't want to depend on gels, I just want something I can strap on and get data straight away.

Ideas?

2. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I've got the same strap I think. I got it with the Polar S625X I got a few years ago. But I'm not sure I'd buy any of it again. Not because it doesn't work but because it's so darn confusing to access all the capabilities. At this point I'm looking at smartphone-based applications with a generic BT4 strap when replacement time comes.

3. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I use my Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS one and it works like a champ.

4. Jed

Jed mellifluous

If you want to seriously train for cycling go for a power meter. It takes out the variables that can effect HR. I have a Garmin HR strap that works with Ant+ devices. If you go Ant+ you can mix and match products such as cadence, speed, HR, power, and get a dongle so your iPhone can pick it up. It's like Bluetooth for shiny electronic sports crap.

5. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

All integrated heart rate straps need to be soaked to work right. My Garmin unit used to work extremely well, now it goes crazy sometimes and won't work right until I sweat a lot. Maybe the salts help it conduct better. I've had it for over two years and it's been exposed to all kinds of conditions, maybe it's been damaged.

It is finicky during winter when it is very dry, but gel or soaking it completely help. No matter what unit you get, it will have these issues.

The older units with pads integrated into the sending unit were more reliable, I've heard.

6. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Heart rate is an important measure. You can't put out the same power on a 105 degree day that you can on a 60 degree day, heart rate gives an objective look at your relative effort and will help you to not blow up. Power is great, but it takes a lot of knowledge and discipline to use it effectively. Not to mention the high cost vs. benefit for amateur racers. Not disparaging it, but it won't make anyone better if they don't educate themselves extensively$

7. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Garmin FR60. Sometimes I have to start the strap with a dab of water, but it works reliably, and has for about 3 years. They're on the second battery in watch and strap now.

8. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I know about all that. I'm not training to race. I'm training to stay alive.

9. tigert

tigert Well-Known Member

I had the exact same experience you are having when I upgraded to the soft strap with the center attachment with both my Garmin and my Polar. I ended up going back to the old hard plastic style for both and sure enough it works perfect for both of them.

10. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I put some dielectic grease in the snap fittings at one point but I think that was due to visible corrosion. Hard to remember the "why" at this point. Anyway, it might help.

11. scott65

scott65 Well-Known Member

Over the years I have used many. Polar, well before they were Polar,
    (CCI I think) paid $350 in '89. It was the size of an Iphone, two stacked on top, lol. Lasted
    about four years. It was not water proof, had to keep it covered in a plastic bag.

This is what I have been using for the past 2 years,
    http://www.timex.com/watches/timex-ironman-road-trainer-heart-rate-t5k212f5
    Easy to use, with lots of goodies. If something goes wrong with this, I will buy the same one.

I bought mine from REI for $99 then.
    http://www.rei.com/product/778138/timex-ironman-road-trainer-heart-rate-monitor-mens

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2012
  12. scott65

scott65 Well-Known Member

So true. :up:

13. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I have a Polar T31. Very basic, but it works everytime. I just lick my thumb and take a swipe at both transmitters on the ends before I put it on. I've been through quite a few of the basic ones and this one has been the most reliable by a wide margin.

14. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I have both the Garmin 305 and 310. I really like the both but if I had to pick one it would have to be the 310 because its waterproof.

15. 418

418 Expert #59

What kind of heart rate are you guys looking for?

When I'm on my trainer I average about 130bpm+.

16. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

Since Motorola dropped the price of the MOTOACTV by $100, I'm thinking of getting one.

I had a Garmin Forerunner 305 (too big to wear as watch). I now use an Edge 500 on the bike and an iPhone with the Wahoo Fitness Bluetooth heart rate strap when I run.

The MOTOACTV will give me music, GPS and heart rate, small enough to wear on the wrist.

17. onepointone

onepointone Well-Known Member

18. Strickette

Strickette Katy, TX

There isn't much point asking that question. Its like asking someone how much they want to weigh. Everyone's target heart rate varies not only by their physiology, but also by the goal of the workout and their exercise goals overall. I aim to spend a certain amount of time at a range of heart rates anywhere from 110 to 165.

19. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx