MotoGP | AMA | Laguna Seca, USA! | July 29, 2012

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Jul 26, 2012.

1. They were on the ground along side the track, but I cant remember what corners. I want to say around turn 4.

2. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Am I the only one that thinks if the EBR bikes had some electronics to help with wheelie control they might be moving farther ahead? Seemed that Danny and Geoff could run with the Jordan and Graves bikes in the turns, but had to back off due to wheelies coming out of them.

3. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Even better than that. they looked like Biaggi on the Aprillia where they could enter the turn earlier carrying as much if not more corner speed. Sems like a sick package. Talking to a person inside the EBR camp, I guess that bike does stuff a normal sport bike doesn't. Upon hitting the brakes, the rear end actually lowers and on acceleration, the rear end actually lifts up. Pretty damn cool geometry Erik designed for that bike

4. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

They could use the rear brake a little, feather the clutch a little bit or maybe get up on the front wheel more or a combination of them all.

Why must you have electronics to do prevent wheelies?

5. Quicktoy

You don't but it'll give the optimum acceleration coming out of every single turn. As Russel said, it would also aid in engine braking

6. Jixxer Josh

Jixxer Josh TEX The LED Guy!!

Didn't read all 23 pages but, did anyone notice those first 3 pics are from 2011?

7. Quicktoy

Um you must be new LOL. Go ahead and actually read the post and not just look at the pics fromthe thread started. He gives a recap of last year in talking about the upcoming weekend

8. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Hmmmm

9. UGA Dawg

UGA Dawg Fertile Member

Back to Ben's bike, on MotoGP.com, go to the crash and at 5-6 seconds in, view point from above, you can see the rear end fall on top of the rear wheel leaving 20 feet of skid mark (not a darkie from over acceleration) and then whammo, the bike flicks him like a booger. It was NOT the suspension compressing. As the bike flips on it's side, if you look closely, the rear wheel remains pushed against the undertail and sub-frame. You can also see that when the marshalls go to pick the bike up, in the original footage of the crash, the swingarm is completely compressed. I thought that was pretty weird for a relatively mundane highside.

When was the last time you saw a bike that flipped on one side do that? Tumbling end over end or side over side, yes.

I don't know how anyone who has ever raced a motorcycle could miss that.

10. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

USA Dawg,
    I watched the race, and saw the whole sequence.

I guess I should learn to ask more specific questions here.

Does anyone have a post-crash shot of the collapsed swingarm/shock?

11. Quicktoy

"UGA DAWG" NOT USA DAWG.. I'm from Athens so we pay homage to our Georgia Bulldogs

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  12. Quicktoy

pretty cool isnt it?

13. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

So does using the rear brake. :D

14. Quicktoy

I said optimum, not what theyre having to do

15. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

How many clutches have you replaced in a lifetime?

There is no "feathering" the clutch under acceleration. Not if you want it to last....

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Thought maybe simplistic to the point of ridiculous would get the point across (fwiw I said the same thing in an earlier post too) :D

17. backcountryme

Feathering the clutch, riding the rear brake, and getting over the front all slow down your drive out of the corner. Add in that the bikes in front of you all have TC, wheelie control and such then you are at a very real disadvantage. Take all that off the Yamaha and Suzuki and I think the EBR would have more podiums and possibly some wins this year.

18. backcountryme

Please explain to me how using the rear brake helps engine braking.

19. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Through a Bazzaz on it and go for it. They have TC.

For wheelie control design the bike with a longer swingarm or something. Put 15lbs of lead on the front end. There are options.

20. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

What happens when you use engine braking?