1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha WR250r or DRZ400sm?

Discussion in 'General' started by bitchcakes, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Vort3xR6

Vort3xR6 Well-Known Member

I have ridden both. Currently own the SM. The WR is completely gutless. That old saying "there's no replacement for displacement" applies in this scenario. The Yamaha feels more refined and crisp, but the DRZ has the power.

The DRZ is the ultimate bike. It is nowhere near perfect, but it does a great job at a lot of things. Think about it as a jack of all trades. It can commute, it can rip through a canyon at faster than legal speeds, it can wheelie, go down stairs, go up stairs, it can ride the trails (I did rampart on race slicks!), it can crash, it can go to the track, it can get dirty, and it never fails to perform when it shouldnt.

Does it have downfalls? Yeah. It needs a 6th gear, it's low on power, the seat is a 2x4, it is hell on long highway rides, the gas tank is small, it's heavy, and it doesn't stroke your ego like a clean $9,000 sport bike.

But the DRZ will give you everything you love about riding in one experience. If more people knew what a supermoto could do, I am convinced everyone would have one. You definitely won't regret it. I have ridden everything from a built R1, R6, Harley, streetfighter, and dirt bike, but nothing makes riding on two wheels as fun as a DRZ SM.

2. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

you sold it to me! i've been on a fence about getting one for a while but yesterday a dude stopied right next to my bike and had a shit eating grin...lol

i just wish it had more CC's and 6th gear

3. Just Bob

Just Bob Well-Known Member

The KTM 950SM has been gathering dust since I got this. Pipe, programmer and opened airbox = Moto3.

[​IMG]

4. speedracer170

speedracer170 Well-Known Member

Here's what ya need:D KE100 2 stroke, picked this one up Thursday and been having a ball on it all weekend.

[​IMG]

5. yzmaico

yzmaico Well-Known Member

I think Ed from Jennings had about 27,000 miles on his before he sold it, things are bomb proof:up:

6. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Do yourself a favor and go up 1 tooth up front on the DRZ. Then it feels more like a wide ratio 5 speed, then a 6-speed but w no 6th gear.. The wide powerband works well with that gearing imo. Cruises waaaaaaay better up around 60-70ish mph. The only place it might show a detraction, is when in slower steep techy offroad(which it does surprisingly well, sans any wet conditions). I live here next to the Gap and only ride mtn roads, gravel/dirt FS roads, and easy offroad on the many outlaw trails in the area. I really don't understand gearing the bike the other way(lower) like some do. Yes it then would wheelie a little better in 3rd gear, but so what.

Anywho..then at least get the 39 FCR(tons more responsive), full exhaust, open the airbox up, steel front brake line, stick-on Thumpertalk case guards(cheap!)..and ride it.

The big bummer is the prices have indeed gone way up lately.
    Obligatory pic.
    [​IMG]

7. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I just made the switch from the WR250R to a KTM 990 Adventure this spring. The WR is a great bike but now that I've had more power I don't think I want to go back.

I'd take the DRZ for street and WR for dirt if those were the options. I know Danny Walker does a supermoto course with the WR's so apparently it's possible to ride them supermoto style. I just can't wrap my head around backing one in and firing it out on anything but dirt.

8. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

I miss my DRZSM more than any other bike I have owned.

9. Vort3xR6

Vort3xR6 Well-Known Member

10. Just Bob

Just Bob Well-Known Member

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

12. Hate McDead

Hate McDead Well-Known Member

DRZ-400SM. Damn fine bike. My favorite street bike almost - ever. I put a dynojet kit on the carb. Opened up the airbox. Installed a Yosh Ti exhaust. Upgraded rotor/brake lines/pads. Gel seat. The bike rocks. It is loads of fun in the city. Someone suggested putting a tooth bigger countershaft sprocket on it so I think I'm going to try that because you do rev it too hard doing 75+ MPH on the expressway. Other than that it's been a lot of fun, easy to ride, nice sit-up position, mainly city bike.

13. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

The DRZ400sm is the most fun bike that I have ridden to date. I was riding my gf's xt225 every day because it was so much fun to manhandle in the corners and the bike felt like it was trying to teach me stuff every time I rode it hard. Decided a real motard was the logical upgrade. Good decision.:up: You couldn't possibly have more fun on a street bike. :D

(one lowside flat-tracking turns in dirt with feet up in the first ten miles of ownership - no highside yet) :D

14. bitchcakes

A Suzuki An400 Burgman has pretty much the same motor but with fuel injection. Wondering if anyone has ever retrofitted the scooter EFI onto a DRZ motor? That seems like it would be the shit compared to switching carbs and all that.

15. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Carl, I've got a flatslide for a Drz here you can have. Someone cracked the floatbowl ear off where it attaches to the body. We could make it work fine though I'm sure with a little jbweld. :up: it's leftover from my last Drz that already had an fcr. Come by sometime and we'll throw it on there.

16. Don_728

Don_728 The dog made me do it!

I have a DRZ S and it is a blast. Picked up a set of 17's to swap on for street duty, and lately I've been taking it trail riding on the weekends.

It is a heavy bike in the dirt, and I am thinking about getting something better suited for trails, just don't know what a comparable all-around bike would be.

To try it to see if you like it ... :up: all the way

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  17. bitchcakes

Thanks Pat. I am a firm believer in the powers of JB weld. We should go riding sometime on our 'tards. Its just so freaking hot right now...

18. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

What other super moto bikes would be good for daily street use? I dont ride in the dirt but been thinking one of these would be great for the drivr back and foruth to work and trips around town. I see the drzsm is still bringing around $5,000 and same with the yamaha. Wondering if there where any other models I should look at?

19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Husky SMR 610

Great power, fairly reliable. All around good package

[​IMG]

20. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Yeah, but IIRC they need servicing every 1k miles...no?

Miss my Husky..:(