1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

06 R6 won't stay running?!?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by APCh8r, Jun 1, 2012.

1. APCh8r

APCh8r Well-Known Member

4 cell units?

2. c7fx

c7fx Well-Known Member

I had both a 2006 and a 2009 R6. They both have done this and the 2009 has the ECU flashed with the higher idle. I figured it was due to me starting the bike and turning it off before fully warm. I have only had this issue on colder days figured it was the automatic choke. Since I started to leave the bike running until fully warmed up I have never had that problem again.
    I wish I knew that starter switch trick earlier. I felt like an idiot blipping the throttle to keep it running last time it happened. I thought I wasn't going to be able to race

3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

negative, that is just asking for trouble imo .. i went 8 cell in both, even with a 600. Your still saving a ton of weight over the stock battery.

4. APCh8r

APCh8r Well-Known Member

well i might have to sell my 4 cell and get a 8 cell if it doesn't remedy itself, or put the 4 cell in the zuma

5. MELK-MAN

the 4 cell may work just fine, i just wanted no issues with crankin power. Try another battery to see if your problem goes away before you sell it.

6. awalk9905

awalk9905 Well-Known Member

Yea I know where that's at. I'm originally from Streator (hour north of Bloomington), went to school in Peoria and now I'm currently living in Decatur.

I never charged mine, but I only had a 4 cell.. I should have went with the bigger one.

7. natedogg624

natedogg624 Well-Known Member

does the same with 8-cell nick.

8. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

yep i have this all the time with R6 guys..they hit button..then instantly out of habit grab throttle..i tell them "DONT TOUCH THROTTE...just hold button longer" it works..but once you play with throttle or even just stab shortly at the button it gets all woman like (pissy)

oh and we use the 4cell FSR Genesis batteries on all our R6's from stock to supersport to 636cc superbikes, never an issue.

:up:

9. MELK-MAN

good to know about the 4cell. Some ask me about that.. At what point would you figure it would NOT be enough battery? The extra 1lb+ extra for the 8cell was just not a big enough deal to risk it..

10. Windshield

Windshield Well-Known Member

One of the 08 R6 does the intermittent start idle thing too. I thought it was because of a mis-adjusted or removed EXUP. I also thought it was due to my Ballistic vs stock battery. I checked the TPS and other obvious items. Bike still does it randomly.

I'm having a hard time believing the extended starter button press thing, but will have to be like the rest of the sheep and try it.

The other 08 R6 has never done it.

11. APCh8r

APCh8r Well-Known Member

I tried the button thing once last night when I was loading everything to move out of Pittsburgh....believe it or not, but it actually worked that time! I will have to try it again a couple more times when I unload everything when I get back to Cincy to confirm but seems like you guys were right on point. Thanks

12. vito2279

vito2279 Well-Known Member

I'm currently having this issue with my bike also. I'm going to try the button holding trick tomorrow! Thanks guys!!

13. noupf

noupf Well-Known Member

my 06' R6 does the same thing. I was in tech one day getting looked at and when I went to start the bike, it turned over for a second or two and then stalled. Somebody told me to just hold the strater button for about 2-3 seconds and it worked like a charm. Most of the time the bike starts right up, but if not, just hold the starter button for 2-3 seconds ( it almost sounds like the starter cycles twice ) and it fires up and stays running.

14. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

I'm looking at an 06 R6 and just curious.... does anyone actually know why this works? what is the actual issue, and what about holding the starter button longer fixes the issue?

15. MELK-MAN

there is no reasonable explanation that i have heard to date.. it just "does'..

16. cbreakin

cbreakin Well-Known Member

The button hold cures my 2006 R6's intermittent starting "issues"

Joe Dirt's Dad: "Hey! How exactly is a rainbow made? How exactly does a sun set? How exactly does a posi-trac rear-end on a Plymouth work? It just does."

17. MELK-MAN

good enough for me :)

18. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

:crackup: whatever works :up: