1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any "Hot Wiring" experts here?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sabre699, May 23, 2012.

1. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Time to solicit the all-knowing beeb. I got a 1980 Ford Van with a 302 2 bbl. in it. It's for use in and around my property only. I had to tow it here because my Bud who owned it mangulated the ignition and ripped the wiring from the steering column. The column lock is destroyed and presents no problem but I'm left with a jumble of wires and not being in possesion of a manual , I need your help to get it started. Which wires do I connect and which ones do I "bump" to accomplish this? Here's how the package is:

Larger gauge wires: 1 Dark blue, 1 Yellow

Smaller gauge: 1 Green, 1 Green w/ orange
    1 Lt. blue, 1 Lt. blue w/ orange
    1 White, 1 White w/lt. blue
    1 Black w/ red dots

Any and all info would be appreciated. Thanx.

2. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Dan, if you have a test light use it to find which wire has power. One at a time touch the others to that wire and observe for: idiot lights coming on in dash/ buzzer sound (ign), engine trying to crank (starter), big spark (ground - leave that one alone). You can do this.

3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Don't know how many bells and whistles (or even lights) this old warlord has but she ran like the dickens until a couple weeks ago when the butchering began when he lost the key. I'll try anything. Thanx, Beak. :up:

4. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

1. Get a wiring diagram and proceed or,

2. Get a used lock cylinder/switch at salvage yard and wire it up.

Good luck:up:

5. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

easy answer. I see it in the movies all the time. All cars have the same wiring. just yank down on ALL the wores and touch two of them together that makes the sparks.

its as easy as that.

of course you could just flip down the visor. thats where the keys always are.

6. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

:stupid:

and +1 on the touching of two wores together making sparks.

7. ZxMoke

ZxMoke Well-Known Member

:FL:

8. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Park it down by those hotels at the Jennings exit. Someone will do it for you.

9. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Can you read a wiring diagram? If so, pm me an email address and I'll shoot two over to you. If not, give me a few and I'll tell you what wires to do what to. (disclaimer: it may result in fire if your wiring is different than the diagram and I can't test first) :D

Edit: I just looked and I can't get back to 1980. :(

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  10. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

LoL, the only time I ever got sparks is when I touched two whores together. (oh wait, that was wores wasn't it?)

Really the only wires you should have to worry about is the wire that powers the distributor and the wire that activates the starter solenoid. Find the wire where it comes out of the distributor and splice a wire onto it that will go to the battery through a toggle switch mounted in the cab. (# 14 gauge is big enough)

Locate the start solenoid and hook up a wire that goes also to the battery and route it through a push button switch also in the cab. (again, #14 Ga.)

Flip on the toggle switch, push the button and you're good to to. (It's going to be just like NASCAR.)

Keep it under 170 mph down the road by the fence. :beer:

11. Dits

You do some time in Juvie back in the day?

12. d-wire

d-wire Well-Known Member

Id come over and help ...but my car is broke and this dude ran me off the road while I was riding my bicycle....I had to jump into a ditch and bent my bike wheels. Your screwed.:D

13. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

If the connectors are intact go to the parts store and buy the electrical part of the switch. Plug it in and use a small screwdriver to operate it.

If not, the big wires are the power feed wires, the green are the ignition wires(if memory serves me correctly) and the others are accessory wires. Just touch each wire to one of the power wires and see what comes on is the easiest way.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  14. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Well? Did you get it running?

15. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

Laziest car thief ever...

16. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

17. Dits

Why does Dan need a van when he has that awesome Knight Rider trans am?

That thing is a Hamilton County, Fla. pussy gettin' machine. :D