1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Middleweights - When does old technology start to limit a rider?

Discussion in 'General' started by bergs, Apr 5, 2012.

1. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

yep... my '01 is still carberated... no FI for me, and I think FI helps out a lot. If I could, I would upgrade to at least an '08 R1, but having 2 kids kinda changes the flow of money for a few years...LOL

2. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Depends.

I closed in on a 'famous' DSB class AMA rider once in the back at VIR in August '10 on my F3.

3. SupermotoFan

SupermotoFan deep Clothing Company

You better be careful, there may be Facebook posts coming your way.

4. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Let me get out my flatbill cap,white framed shades,drop F bombs while talking with my hands? ;)

5. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

As someone who races a clapped-out '03 600RR, I am going to point to this every time someone with a newer bike beats me :D

But I would strongly agree that some of it has to do with the mental aspect of things, as mentioned below:

6. got40

got40 On hiatus...

Aaahh.... you're like most of us, the limit is our brain.

7. Roger@Arroyo

Roger@Arroyo Well-Known Member

About 3 seconds a lap, give or take, for a 2 or 3 generation upgrade.

For the two guys riding the first gen R1's.... I'm sorry. :) I had one, raced it, went undefeated for a season and a half. Jumped on an R6 with stock suspension and went just as fast in my first session.....R1 was gone.

Now the fact that tires have gotten better will contribute to this next statement.
    I set a lap record of 1:11.02 on the R1 in 2001. It held for 3 or 4 years. I started racing again in 2005 and now do 1:07's. 4 seconds with tire and bike upgrades. I figure it's split between the two at about two seconds each.

8. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

A flatbill is good for at least two seconds. Cheapest performance mod you can make...

9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Contrary to what you may believe, interjecting retard into every thread is not required of you.

10. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

Seriously.

I think I get it though. He loves that pic of my chick so in part I'm annoyed that I'm seeing it needlessly posted in every other thread but dually honored that she means that much to him.

11. bitchcakes

12. SupermotoFan

SupermotoFan deep Clothing Company

Re: Bitchcakes

My mom used to have a saying: "You're cruisin' for a brusin'"

13. bitchcakes

No way, man. Not with those pies. :D

14. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Same thing with me.
    I started on a F2, the guys I raced with F3's. We all were pretty close.
    When the 98 GSXR600 came out, they jumped on em. I stayed on the F2 SB,
    which was build pretty well. I had a hard time keeping up.
    They got faster, I sunk more money into the F2.
    Big mistake.

zfrilly likes this.
  15. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

04 750 1.33 vir 1.29 NJMP
    09 600 1.32.8 1.28.8

same weekend

going faster is in my head, not the bike.

now if I was riding a zx-9r versus a zx-10. I would say yor gonna go alot faster.

16. strgt

strgt Well-Known Member

I went from an 03 600rr to an 07 R6 and got slower, much slower. Of course its the bikes fault and not mine :D I did like the honda much better than the R6, mainly because I didnt feel comfortable hanging off the R6 like I could the honda. Also helped that when I crashed on the honda, it never broke, so I took more risks. I crashed twice on the R6 when I owned it, and both times it took a beating.

I also "upgraded" because I was doing 16's at loudon and everyone said how much faster id be on the R6. I wish I had just kept the bike. This year im running a stock 07 600rr, because I dont think it makes much of a difference till your pushing lap records. For me, its about how comfortable you are on your bike. If someone has gone faster than you on the same bike, then you still have room for improvement.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Think again. :D

18. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Thank you!

19. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

shadup and ride!

20. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I have a similar situation with my Lightweight bike.

It's an '04 Ducati 1000 SS, I've been riding it forever so I can find the limit. All of the CCS FL guys are either running SV's, Bimotas, or Ducati Paul Smarts. All of those have a far superior chassis than my SS, which is one of the reasons I'm the last guy riding one. I always wanted to be the guy that won on the lesser machine so I took it as a challenge. After having ridden a few of the other ones though, I think it's not so much that you CAN'T go as fast on the SS, it's just that it's so much EASIER to go fast on one of the better bikes.