1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Survey on what oil you are using

Discussion in 'General' started by Newb2, Nov 13, 2010.

?

WHAT OIL DO YOU USE IN YOUR MOTORCYCLE?

1. AMSOIL

48 vote(s)
    9.6%
  2. MOBIL 1

64 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. MOTUL

100 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. OEM BRANDED

22 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. REPSOL

26 vote(s)
    5.2%
  6. ROYAL PURPLE

5 vote(s)
    1.0%
  7. RP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. ROTELLA

173 vote(s)
    34.5%
  9. SILKOLENE

25 vote(s)
    5.0%
  10. SOME CRAPPY OIL NOT LISTED.

38 vote(s)
    7.6%
  1. RickJohnson#29

RickJohnson#29 Well-Known Member

For some reason I didn't think about taking pics at the time. Me and a friend did this rebuild in Jan. 2010. He has worked on alot of bikes and was a auto mechanic for awhile and he was also impressed with how well it looked. I had always changed the oil right at 3000 miles when I had it on the street and every other race weekend. We ran the bike a 05 R1 at Daytona last Oct. in the 44 lap team race and place 2nd in our class and 4th overall of 37 teams. We were down on power compared to the other bikes in our class but we did well for our 1st team race on a older bike. It was a blast! It is now my back up bike and still preforms when called on.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  2. Newb2

Newb2 плохие люди сосут

Is this a Missouri "show me" or "doubting Thomas" response ?

3. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I think people would just like to see the engine. I know that after a well used engine is torn down I like to see how it is surviving. I have a customer that uses Opit-4 (same oil I use in my mini racers) in Kohler engines (I also sell those). One of the engines that he regularly services has 30,000+ hours run time on it. Whenever he has the engine in to de-carbon it (it runs on well head gas) he sends me photos of it. It is interesting to see how it wears.

4. ZxMoke

ZxMoke Well-Known Member

Pictures or it didn’t happen :Poke:

No, but I would love to see pictures of the engine. That would probably make me a lifelong costumer of Rottella. I would rather see or hear about experiences with products from fellow racers than from the company that sells the product

5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I'm trying to understand the psychology behind oil threads. No one just gives an answer, they give you a reason to switch to "their" brand. And I think the WalMart oil guys just bang that drum looking for validation.

Use good oil and change it regularly. Switch when you have a reason to. An oil-related failure would be a good reason. A random internet post from someone with questionable motives isn't a good reason.

Until the next oil thread ...

6. ZxMoke

ZxMoke Well-Known Member

If the oil is the same price or a couple bucks more and someone I know had very good results with the oil and has pictures/experience backing up that claim, why not use that oil?

7. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

You're assuming I'm making an argument one way or the other. I'm not. Use what you trust.

8. ZxMoke

ZxMoke Well-Known Member

Werd!! :beer:

9. RickJohnson#29

RickJohnson#29 Well-Known Member

I know: No pics or it didn't happen! Sorry I don't have any. I'm not trying to tell anyone to switch to Rotella I was just sharing my experience using it. It seems to be a good oil and preform well in my bikes. Carry on.

10. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

In all honesty any brand oil will do the job. This came straight from an expert that I met at a training session in Kohler Wisconsin. And when I say expert this guy was in charge of actually formulating oil blends for several large small engine manufactures. I asked him about the Tech 2000 walmart stuff and what he said validated what a Sprint Car engine builder told me. The Tech 2000 stuff is just as good as the highest price stuff on the market. The real difference is in the life of the oil before it starts to break down. The cheaper stuff has less additives that aid in maintaining lubricity. Basically he said that if you are running a racing engine and you are changing the oil after every race or two there is no need to buy expensive oils. They are not in the engine long enough to do anything better then cheap oil. With that said if you are planning on getting lots of mileage between oil changes then you need to be looking at longer life oils such as sythetics and specialty oils. That is where the extra money pays off. Not on low mileage (time run time between oil changes) use. I know a few sprint car guys running Tech 2000 Walmart oil in $30,000 race engines with 0 issues.

11. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Why did the survey get changed? Did the folks at intercontinental Lubricants (Spectro) bounce a check on Mongo?

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I haven't edited any poll, not sure what you mean.

13. Newb2

Newb2 плохие люди сосут

The poll is as I originally posted it, note my screw-up where I wasted one of the ten available poll slots with "RP" when I already had Royal Purple on the list. :rolleyes:

14. BigHeadzDC

BigHeadzDC One Track Wonder

I've been running the Repsol 4T for awhile now with no issues, other than it's expensive. I'll have to take a look at the Rotella stuff.

15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

The fluid kind...I find that works best.

16. sonicnofadz

sonicnofadz Well-Known Member

Amsoil is the only oil I know of that is retaining high levels of ZDDP (anti wear additive). Can't really say the same about any Wal-Mart oil, except the diesel engine oils.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  17. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

I have used several stuff... so far the best is Repsol 4T race 10-50 expensive at 50usd the liter....
    I have used their normal 4T oil and change back to the race one. the diference is very noticeable....

I have to look what Motul has to offer and compare prices....

18. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I heard if you dip your weenie in Amsoil that it heightens the sensations felt during intercourse.

Some sort of pleasure enhancing additive that they keep on the hush hush, only priviledged employees and Amsoil "dealers" know about it.

19. mtmansl

mtmansl Well-Known Member

The Walmart brand is currently Quaker State, it used to be Mobil...

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Lucas sponsor club racing.