1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enclosed Trailer width question

Discussion in 'General' started by bsanorton, Jan 12, 2012.

1. bsanorton

bsanorton Well-Known Member

After coming home from Barber this October at 01:30 in the morning in a constant heavy down pour, unloading my soaking bikes in this heavy rain & spending another 1/2 hour wiping them down in my garage. I decided to sell my trusty Kendon like trailer I've had for 10 years and buy an enclosed one. My buddy has one that I could swear I measured 7' X 10' fits two bikes side by side easily. I'm having a hard time finding that size. Most of the new/used ones I've looked at are 6' X 10'. Can I fit two bikes in a 6' X 10' without problems? Post pics if you have a 6' X 10' and can do this. Can you stagger them & fit comfortably? He has a bigger towing vehicle and the 6' X 10' would probably be best suited for mine.

2. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

2 fit fine next to each other in my 6x12

3. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Yup, they will fit. Wide is nice, but the wider it is, the more air it will catch, the more drag it has, the more gas it uses to get it down the road.

4. grantcarruthers

grantcarruthers Well-Known Member

6 wide is easy but do yourself a favor and shell out for the pit bull restraints so they aren't bouncing off each other

5. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

I put 3 dirt bikes in my old 6x12. 2 forward 1 back.

6. MC Power House

MC Power House www.mphbikes.com

2 sport bikes will fit staggered in a 5x10.

Just don't cheap out and not get a side door.
    Don't ask how I know...

:D

7. stickboy274

Did you get stuck in the front of one after tying the bikes down?

8. MC Power House

MC Power House www.mphbikes.com

No but the video of me climbing over bikes to get out would make me lots of money on AFV...

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

6' is the minimum width Id get if you have a bigger truck... 7' sure is nicer.
    Length wont really matter for fuel savings... so go the max you can get. 12' minimum...14' is better.

10. stickboy274

Nice. I'll work on getting you trapped in another trailer this year so you can show the rest of us how graceful you are.

11. bsanorton

bsanorton Well-Known Member

Thanks for the recomendations. Side door is a definite. Can those pitbull restrains be used on non-sport/race bikes? They look great. I have a few classic bikes I will need to trailer at times. If not, then can you suggest nice front wheel chocks? My open trailer chocks held the bikes upright while I was strapping them down. I'd be interested to see your bikes with the bikes loaded and the type of restraints you are using to secure the bikes. With the open trailer I coud always peak behind me & check on the bikes. I blew a strap right before going over the GW bridge in NJ, the chocks held the bike upright & I was able to see what happened & correct. Lesson learned on cheap straps!

12. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Check with Pit Bull for pins for the bikes you want to transport.

I have 2 Pit Bull restraints in my trailer, but the left position also has a removable wheel chock at the front so I can tie down any bike I need to. 6' wide is enough for two bikes. 7' gives you a lot more room for stuff around and between the bikes and allows better weight load distribution for adjusting tongue load.

13. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

I've got a 6x14 and have fit 4 street bikes in it no problem. 125gp bikes can be stacked like cord wood. Think I fit 6 in there once plus spares.

If you are getting one made, get the tie down points in the floor. 3 up each side and 3 up the middle. If they are put in during manufacturing, they will have them attached to the frame. Otherwise, they are bolted to the wood floor only. Which will work fine but bolted to the metal frame is nicer.

14. stickboy274

When I was doing crash truck duties, I think I got 7 125's in the back of a shortbed chevy truck. With the riders. I was so proud.

15. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Before getting our 6x12 we hauled two bikes with tie downs in a 5x8. We put one forward and one backwards. We had no problems with rubbing or touching.

16. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

7 125's in the back of a shortbed???? That must have been one heck of a crash or were they doing plug chops?

17. stickboy274

It started raining mid race back in turn 7 at Road A. A pack came running around 6 close together. Nobody had a chance to check up before the carnage. It sucked, but nothing they could really do. We put them in nose down going side to side. All standing up with riders in between for buffer.

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Pretty impressive, 7 in a shortbed.

Man I didn't realize how much more work loading bikes, and especially changing tires was, until we left 125's and got a 600.

19. Greg Williams

Greg Williams Old & slow

I've been towing a 6x10 for about 10 years. I haul two bikes plus a scooter up front and have shelves set up for bins for the gear. I like the size because I can tow it with 4Runner with a little 3.4 motor. For years I towed with a Volvo turbo wagon with no issues.

I use Baxley Sport Chocks and tie down straps. I've never even bothered to use the bolt down kits with the Baxleys and have never had any problem. The Baxleys allow almost any kind of bike to be carried and they really facilitate loading as you can just ride into them and step off.

20. stickboy274

Yup. Racebikes come from the factory knowing you will need to take everything apart. Streetbikes come from the factory expecting to never com apart. Take some time to look at it and you can figure out things to make it easier. I spent a winter and some beer working on one of mine and it paid off over the next couple of years.