Apple Legal Issues, sent an extra ipad, and we were told to keep it

Discussion in 'General' started by strgt, Dec 29, 2011.

1. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

OK, one more time. The guy ordered an "engraved" Ipad. It sounds like Apple offered to send a "loaner" while the customer waited for the engraving. The "engraved" arrived before the "loaner". Now, regardless of what he was told by the rep, he wants to keep the loaner? What part of this makes sense? The "rep" at Apple who said keep it is an idiot. The guy keeping it is a thief.

2. oldmonk

oldmonk Just trying something!

And technically he was gifted the 2nd iPad by an agent of the company. That's the way I read it.
    The rep is the one responsible for the iPad.
    Was there an agreement for a loaner to be sent?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  3. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Alright, didn't see the engraving part. If the loaner was a temp item until the engraved item arrived, then that'd make a whole lot more sense. Anyone familiar with whatever agreement is involved?

I'd still make them kiss my ass a bit to make up for the rude CS rep.

4. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

guess being a psychic is part of the requirements needed when dealing with customer service......is the rep lying?is he an idiot?...what to do

5. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't you just call up and say "Hey, you shipped the wrong thing, send a call tag and please send me the correct item."

I was going to leave this out but here goes.... You are a thief and I wouldn't want you near me at the track or as a neighbor. If you will steal from this company you'll steal from others as well.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  6. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

:stupid:
    Finally!

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Does Apple have any record of you buying two or three ithings? What precisely would they charge you for without any record of a transaction?

8. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I'm not trying to pick on you today Monte, but to make a proper analogy you'd have to say:

I was going to leave this out but here goes.... You are a thief and I wouldn't want you near me at the track or as a neighbor if we have identical trailers. I may accidentally park my bike in your trailer. When you notice and try to return my bike to me, I might tell you to keep it because it was my mistake. I might later change my mind or a relative of mine might want the bike, so I'll call you to demand it back, but you can keep the tank protector and dyno tune you added to it. If you have so much as a second thought about returning it to me, you'd steal from everyone.

9. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Analagy. I just had one of those. Doc said I'm good, no polyps or anything like that.

I was not referring to the OP but rather the guy who ordered a wheel kitfor a genset but was sent an actual genset by mistake which he kept and then susequently sold after he "got away with it".

10. G 97

G 97 Garth

Dude, if you have to ask, send it back. :crackhead:

11. speedkelly

speedkelly Well-Known Member

Ok, if you want to steal the damn Ipad. Just Fedex everything back to them Minus the Ipad! ie: all the original packaging paperwork and power cord etc, but keep the ipad. You have the fedex tracking number showing that you returned it. They will say it was missing the ipad? your word against there's No way you will be charged for it. You have proof you sent it back.
    Not legit, but what you are doing is not legit either. I know with Apple it is pretty common for them to give out loaner items when one of their products break. I think its pretty cool really. Hell when was the last time a motorcycle company gave you a loaner when their bike blew up under warranty?

Go FEDEX! you know you want too!

12. wot-75

wot-75 Well-Known Member

They record the weights of every package.... better be spot on with whatever ballast gets put in the box...

13. strgt

strgt Well-Known Member

I did mention that my wife called and asked them to send a call tag. We were told to keep after telling the rep several times that we had no problem sending it back! I don't want the iPad, nor am I trying to keep it. We were given this iPad by the apple rep, then bought accessories and they told us we had to give the iPad back. We were never never never informed of a loaner. That came up today. They claimed to have left a voicemail that doesn't exist.

14. wot-75

wot-75 Well-Known Member

Um, they did:
    In the eyes of the law this is a gift because an "agent" of the company told them it was free for them to keep it.

Ethically speaking though, I think the OP is obligated to return it whenever it is convenient... or apple should compensate them for their time as well... there are better ways to handle this from both sides.

15. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

Where did he say he was offered a loaner? he didn't. Don't make the situation fit what you think it should.

16. strgt

strgt Well-Known Member

I don't care about the iPad they made a mistake that's costing me money in the accessories I bought. I do feel obligated to return the iPad but they don't feel obligated to budge on their end. They are treating this like it's all our fault and are covering their tracks about telling us to keep it. I did everything right on my end ethically but I'm going to get screwed in the end. If they have no legal leg to stand on then they don't get the iPad unless I'm compensated. If they can charge me for it regardless what happens then I'm screwed either way.

17. cgordon3

Dude... the iPad is yours. These other guys are not making any sense to me.

How are you stealing when you were told to keep it.

Apple is an asshat to ask for it back after telling you to keep it in my opinion.

18. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

he is sposed to feel guilty cause he didnt know the 1st Apple rep was an idiot...

19. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

:crackup: fucking hilarious coming from you. :up:

20. cgordon3

If the rep is an idiot then that is Apples problem, not his.