Fitness studs: What's best heart rate for losing weight?

Discussion in 'General' started by USracer900, Nov 18, 2011.

1. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

First race of 2010, I thought I was going to die of a heart attack, ten laps into the Solo.

I've been doing 30-40 minutes on the elliptical, varying HR from 145-165 or there about. Eating Weight Watchers meals which I prepare from their cookbook magazines (not going to their insipid meetings) and as of yesterday I had lost 40 lb. since I started really working on it a year ago.

I feel like a new man. No more grunting and sweating to get my leathers on, a 20-minute TD session or a sprint race doesn't faze me at all.

Life is good.:bow:

2. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

This is correct. When I do a 26mi marathon I will have a single banana about 1.5 to 2 hours before the event, also a large tablespoon of peanut butter about an hour before prior. It doesn't take much to kick-off the pre exercise party :up:

3. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I will eat Hammergels about every four miles during the race.

4. rwood64083

I remember being introduced to GU energy packets. Thought to myself 'there's no way I can eat anything while running'. Glad I did. Stuff works great!

5. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

You definitely have to practice eating with them on your long run days. I still haven't gotten the hang of drinking water and not losing a step.

6. svtinker

svtinker Well-Known Member

Cross train

Google blood diet

Avoid compulsive advice

7. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Eat less and work out more.

8. RB

RB Well-Known Member

Cutting out sweetened drinks stopped my "rapid pants obsolesence syndrome".

9. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Check out trainingpeaks.com. Everyone's metabolism is different. The only way to find your particular HB range is to do a lactic threshold test. Then keep your HR about 80% of that value to be in the range where your converting fat to glycogen instead of burning glycogen stores in the muscles as the primary fuel supply. Long steady workouts.

10. rwood64083

I'm good at 'not losing a step'. Although I only get to drink 25% of what's in the cup (wear the other 75%). It all works out for the best. I'd probably stuff myself with liquid if not for spilling most of it :D

11. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Have your results on the motorcycle improved substantially?

I like GUs to a degree, but only as a supplement. Do you like the ones with or without caffeine? The worst thing about GUs is sticking them back in your jersey pocket after you eat them, yuck.

My buddies all tease me for it, but I cook small yams in a microwave then wrap them in foil and refrigerate them. They taste better than Clif Bars and are more cost effective. Much easier to eat than Clif Bars, too, especially when it's cold and the Clif Bar turns to the consistency of a brick.

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The trick is to stuff the Clif Bar down your pants, then it stays warm and malleable.

13. Paint Shaker

Paint Shaker Tractor Motor Racer

Give up rum & coke and sweet tea??? What are you, mad? :tut::D

14. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

Funny you mentioned the Paleo diet, my neighbor who's a trainer (at a different gym) actually let me borrow that book a couple months ago. I skimmed through some of it and thought it sounded like a lot of preparation. Maybe I need to read it this time and give it a shot. I am guilty of eating too much Subway/bread, I'll admit it.

Hit the gym last night and took everyone's advice. Kept my heart rate between 135 and 150 for an hour on the elliptical. I did sweat some and finished up with some boxing/jump rope. Managed to drink a gallon of water yesterday too. I've never peed so much in all my life.

15. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

220, 221. Whatever it takes.

16. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Too much preparation? The whole idea is to eat foods as close to the way they came from nature as possible. Why would that take lots of prep? I've even heard of people going further and eating a raw only diet, no cooking of anything whatsoever.

18. DirtNap

DirtNap used, but not used up.

If you watch cultures that eat fresh, they are much healthier.

Less processed food is time consuming because you have to food shop a lot.

You will feel better and have more energy eating fresh/raw.

19. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

:stupid: If your serious its the only way. You can do 1hr of hard cardio a day but if your taking in more calories than you need you'll never lose weight. Im using a smart phone ap called "lose it" I have been doing boot camp twice a week, running 1 day and doing a group ride (30-35 miles) once a week for the last 5 months. I working with a trainer and a dietitian on diet. I feel better than I have in years. Im down 25 lbs but the scale we use at weigh ins also measures muscle and Im up about 3 lbs in muscle. I started at 260lbs and it took a long time to get there so I expect it to take some time to get back down. My goal weight is 190 and I hope to be there by July 2012. I have a personal goal to do a 1/2 marathon and the Athens triathlon next year. If your looking for a good HR monitor I use the Garmin 305 it does everthing and it helps with runs and bicycle rides.

I love that movie :D

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011