WWII history buffs

Discussion in 'General' started by Crispy476, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Crispy476

Crispy476 Well-Known Member

I have had a twitter account for many years that has been mostly dormant since I started it. That is until I heard about a twitter account set up by a grad doctoral student in history over in Britain.

This person is posting tweets of the occurrences of WWII in real time.

here is the description from the twitter page

"Livetweeting the Second World War, as it happens on this date & time in 1939. Contact via [email protected] or Facebook.

the page itself is here
    http://twitter.com/#!/RealTimeWWII

Since I found this, I have caught myself watching twitter constantly to see what is happening, or happened back then. Very crazy and amazing stuff. Hitler was a bad guy and to me this proves to be a good format to show how terrible of a man he was.

2. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

That actually might make me sign up to be a tweeter.

3. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I thought the term was "Twit" or is it "Twat"?:D

4. Putter

I can't even figure out how to sign up. I have to get my five year old from school, maybe she can help me. :crackup:

5. motox

motox 164

awesome idea! has anyone seen the WW2 in color documentaries? Im thinking of purchasing them since i couldnt pull myself away from the 'Vietnam in HD' docs on the history channel

6. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I was going to say if you liked the WW2 in hd watch Vietnam in HD.

I was hooked on WW2HD so probably worth buying.

7. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Sounds cool.
    Help me as I'm a technophobe. So he's doing it at the same time, same day of month, just from 1939?

8. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I've been watching them religiously.

Very cool. :up:

9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

If any of you have Netflix check out "Victory at Sea". It was a really good hours long documentary done in the '50s on WII. I have my grandfathers set on VHS, lol. Its BW but its worth it. Its balanced and despite the name it covers the air and ground war as well.

10. jimraynor21

jimraynor21 Well-Known Member

Have you guys watched Band of Brothers? Excellent series.

11. Putter

There have been a bunch of them on the Military Channel. I have no idea how they get the colors so real but they are awesome!

12. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

Saving Private Ryan is on tv right now. Looks like I'm not going to bed early.

13. Vitamin-E

Vitamin-E cornerin lo in the 3-1-fo

victory at sea!!! +1,000,000!!!

14. Vitamin-E

Vitamin-E cornerin lo in the 3-1-fo

"WWII in Color" ROCK'N'ROLLS!!!

15. RB

RB Well-Known Member

I made an awesome book purchase a couple of years back. 40 paperbacks for $10. The newest one had a copyright date of the early 60's. Japanese, German, Australian, British and American WWII vets were the authors. There is a tremendous amount of history that is "lost". To find this lost archive you have to haunt yard sales, estate sales, antique malls, used book stores, army-navy surplus stores, etc.

At an estate sale I picked of 35 books from the collection of a retired Navy doctor. One was printed in 1946 and what it didn't contain was pretty telling about how much stuff was still considered top secret even after the war was over. The code breaking stuff wasn't mentioned anywhere and any missions that were direct results of code breaking were given vague references to 'intelligence'.

One thing I HAVE come to realize - a lot of the stuff printed back then and stocked in school libraries was recruting propaganda disguised as non-fiction. They built up the sense of adventure and completely played down the day to day reality of living and fighting a war in inhospitable locales such as the south pacific.

16. Crispy476

Crispy476 Well-Known Member

Yes, that is my understanding. The poster made the statement where this project will take the full 6 years the war lasted.

17. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

Very cool.

18. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

That's really cool.
    anyone seen the Das Boot remake. I caught it last spring, it's good like a punch to the gut.

19. motox

motox 164

GREAT series. I think i was 13 or 14? when they first aired on HBO and i caught every episode on Sunday. Got the dvd box set for xmas from my parents the year it came out. Never been to war but it seems so realistic. If you liked the series, read the book! and vice versa.

20. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I watched the Vietnam episode about "Hamburger Hill". :up: