1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

another truck question

Discussion in 'General' started by Sicilian32, Nov 14, 2011.

1. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

You'd have to factor in the added cost of buying the diesel truck and that it actually gets that good of mileage cause not all do.

My buddy's older Cummins would get great mileage but he replaced it with a newer one and it doesn't do nearly as well. I think he went from a 2 valve motor to a 4 valve motor but I could be wrong.

2. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Not sure about that bro.

Resale on diesel trucks right now is really great. Especially for higher mileage trucks.

3. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

A diesel pickup isn't something you want to be sitting for months on end either.

I have an F 350 diesel and while it tows nice and all, you really better be towing 4+ days a week to make owning one worthwhile.

I have 9 different diesel motors in the parking lot outside for semis, pumps, and whatnot, so you can ask me how I know.:)

Any of the newer gassers with good transmissions will get you by just fine.

4. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Diesels are cheap right now in my area. With so many companies/builders out of business the market it pretty soft. 24v motor? I paid more for my gas burner 4x4 than I did for my Diesel 4x4. Of course my gaser is pimp and my diesels a ho.

5. maxpat82

maxpat82 Well-Known Member

fuel pump..when it goes bad..cost a lot....and they do.
    engine maintenance cost more too..(depend on which you buy yeah I know)
    transmission, turbo.

and like mentionned : a diesel need to work to really worth it!

6. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Guess I'm just lucky.

7. Sicilian32

Sicilian32 Well-Known Member

lots of really good info here guys. i wouldnt be towing 4 days a week, but i would be hitting the track at least 10 times a year and the closest one i goto is 200 miles away. and figure at least 3 or 4 camping trips at 200 miles away as well. so perhaps 7000 miles max a year of regular towing, not counting any snow boarding trips made or short hops out for the day with dirt bikes. but i do hope that this last at least 10 years or more.